Eversource Energy Director, Gas Project and Field Engineering in Westborough, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)This position is responsible for all Project and Field Engineering activities across three operating companies for Eversource Gas (ESG) in support of the natural gas supply, delivery and service to our customers. This position oversees and directs all engineering and design of complex projects, development of written project specific procedures for testing, purging and commissioning of facilities and field support to key operating business areas such as Construction, Maintenance, Instrumentation and Regulation, Meter Services, Project Management and Gas Control. Responsible for driving consistency of process and facility designs and enhanced engineering reviews of project designs and implementation procedures to ensure reliable and safe delivery of natural gas. Responsible for Project Management of major engineering and construction projects including transmission, distribution, and other complex gas distribution facilities. Recognized as having technical expertise in gas engineering design, construction standards, 49 CRF Part 192 code requirements, state regulatory requirements (MA DPU and CT PURA) and gas operating procedures and standards.
- Responsible for all engineering activities of gas distribution including but not limited to development of system and facility designs, project specific procedures, Professional Engineer project review and approval, and the associated special permitting required (e.g., wetlands, easements RR crossings, EFSB etc.)
- Effectively integrates Project and Field Engineering resources, designs, procedures and processes across three operating companies to establish common practices.
- Project Management of major engineering and construction projects including capital work associated with take stations, district regulators, bridge and railroad crossings, etc.
- Engage with external stakeholders to provide awareness/technical requirements and gain approvals, routing, permitting and support for major gas capital projects
- Establish field engineering support across three operating companies that develop expertise on assigned segment of gas distribution system, provide local engineering support to field operations (maintenance, construction, maintenance, corrosion, I&R), write specific live gas procedures, perform constructability reviews, coordinate with system planning & gas control, provide liaison to standards & procedures group, support assigned field operations managers
- Provide engineering support, interaction on all public works projects
- Responsible for the completion of complex projects on time and within established budgets.
- Responsible for the cathodic protection systems engineering and design to meet state and federal regulatory requirements and ensure the safe and reliable operation of the gas distribution assets.
- Ensures the development of project designs and project specific procedures to support the capital plan.
This position supports the development of the annual capital budget plan and programs that ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations governing Gas Operations.
Oversees the development of Project Authorization documentation to support the approval of funding for capital complex projects.
Oversees special permitting requirements for complex projects such wetlands, river crossings, Rail Road permits, Army Corp, EFSB etc.
Supports Rate Case proceedings with the development of testimony and responses to discovery.
- Collaborates with Senior Management to develop and implement company-wide programs such as strategic plans, corporate performance goals, budgets and IT strategy and projects for Gas Operations.
- Oversees the management and development of area staff. Assesses the need for, and oversees implementation of, programs to ensure employees possess technical, interpersonal and organizational skills required to support operating plans.
- Communicates in writing and verbally in a clear, effective and timely manner.
- Ensures that safe work practices are followed, and the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and regulations.
- Develops, tracks and monitors annual department operating budget.
- Requires extensive knowledge of Gas Operations methods, procedures, systems and facilities, and state and federal pipeline regulations.
- Requires strong organizational and managerial skills.
- Ability to manage operating budgets, operating plans and works cross functionally.
- Demonstrated leadership in strategic planning and performance improvement efforts.
- Through knowledge of Project Management principles and practices, including Scope Management, Time Management, Project Cost Management, Project Quality Management, Project Human Resource Management, Project Communications Management, Project Risk Management, Project Procurement Management, and Project Stakeholder Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline
- Master’s Degree or MBA preferred
- Minimum of twelve (12) years gas distribution, utility or technical experience
Licenses & Certifications:
- Professional Engineering License a plus
- Project Management Professional certification preferred
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- This position is categorized as safety-sensitive for the purpose of drug testing. Successful applicants shall be subject to a pre-assignment drug test if the individual is currently in a non-safety sensitive position. As an employee in this position the individual shall be subject to random drug testing. A positive drug test will result in disciplinary action.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs