National Grid Principal Project Manager IT Projects in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Principal IT Project Manager for our IT group in Waltham, MA.
We’re an international team, and our work underpins the lives of millions of people. Feet forwards, head up, and eyes bright, we’re working hard to create value for people today – and shape the future of energy tomorrow.
In the US, we don’t generate or sell energy – we join the dots to get energy from A to B. From making a cup of tea in the morning, to keeping the lights on in hospitals, our electricity network puts power in the hands of people. Without it, the world as we know it would grind to a halt.
The world of energy is changing beyond recognition. Working at National Grid, you won’t just be touching the lives of people in the US – you’ll be shaping the way we use and consume energy for generations to come.
National Grid is international Electricity and Gas Company and one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world. We are committed to being an innovative leader in energy management and to safeguarding our global environment.
The IT Gas Business partner group is looking for an experienced Principal Project manager to be part of a growing team. Our IT ambition is to transform National Grid into the leader of the digital energy future. You must be a self-starter, energetic and have a passion for Project Management. Projects can be under 1 MM to well over 15 MM. The Project manager should be willing to challenge the status quo, innovate, find efficiencies, contribute towards process improvement and agile transformation
The Principal Project Manager is accountable for working closely with the business and technology to ensure the success of all projects/programs under their supervision. Project manager’s work with the business partners to first align on the business case and then plans, executes, and delivers all projects/programs on time, on budget, and within scope in accordance with business priorities
• Manage technical issues, risks and priorities. Perform risk assessment and implement risk mitigation plans
• Experience presenting to senior management including steering committee the status of the program
• Lead the group in agile transformation of the program management
• Create and manage project schedules and lead enforcement of project deadlines in response to the client requirements
• Proactively identify resource constraints and working with personnel managers on creative solutions
• Lead weekly project meetings with technology team providing transparency to task status and identifying issues. Possibly build, lead, and coach multiple project teams throughout project lifecycles. Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze needs and requirements
• Implementation of projects using the Software Development Lifecycle model
• Ensure project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately
• Serve as the conduit and act as liaison between the customers (internal and external), software development team and technical teams. Maintain key relationships with project sponsors to forecast resource needs and communicate those needs to management
• Manage software development release cycle; coordinating resources, creating documentation and running release events
• Demonstrate the Valued Business Partner capabilities and behaviors in all interactions with IT colleagues, vendors and business stakeholders
• Monitor project schedule and scope to ensure both remain on track. Initiate and implement appropriate actions. Proactively engage in both quality assurance and risk management activities to ensure project deliverables are met according to IT and client requirements. Meet financial performance targets for the assigned projects and proactively manage change control process both internally and externally. Accountable for budget across assigned project(s) including monthly forecasting and variance reporting. Collaborate with finance to initiate monthly invoicing and reconciliation
• Contribute to development and management of Program Delivery metrics
• Ability to work with procurement on RFP, POC, selecting vendors and SOW for vendors
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with internal and external customers at all organizational levels
Demonstrated customer focus, attitude and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
A collaborative style that emphasizes teamwork, values the contributions of each team member, and encourages participation in achieving results for the organization and its customers
BS in a relevant discipline or, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
12-20 yrs of professional experience demonstrating responsibility for participating in and/or managing large scale software programs
10+ yrs of project management or program leadership experience the ability to communicate and work effectively with internal and external customers at all organizational levels
3-5 yrs experience in managing projects using agile methodology and also oversight to external vendors. Hands on agile and product management experience preferred
Relevant industry certification (e.g. PMP, SAFe, CSM) desirable.
Experience with Utility industry preferred and prior experience with National Grid beneficial
Experience building and managing a project schedule in Microsoft Project or similar project management tool utilizing data-based decision-making (GANTT charts, JIRA, Visio, Confluence etc.)
Ability to lead a large scale projects, including development of plans for scope, timeline, budget, issue management, and managing change.
Experience coordinating procurement events (RFP/RFI) and developing statements of work
Experience managing multiple vendors to deliver the full scope of projects/programs
Experience conducting and leading team meetings to manage the schedule, identify risks and review project deliverables. Comfortable with frequent changes or unpredictability. Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to manage complex and varied interpersonal relationships to successfully complete projects
Experience with both waterfall and agile project management
IT experience should be mostly on the application development space and some infrastructure experience is also good
At National Grid, we work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office.
Our goal is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, the innovation from diverse teams & perspectives and business need. We are committed to building a workforce so we can represent the communities we serve and have a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential.