National Grid Director, IT Business Partner in Waltham, Massachusetts
National Grid is hiring a Director, IT Business Partner for our IT Wholesale Networks and Capital Delivery department in Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our WNCDs, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Reporting to the Head of IT – Wholesale Networks / Capital Delivery (WNCD) and COVID-19 Plan Forward team, accountable for IT partnership with the WNCD business and the Plan Forward team supporting new ways of working as National Grid transitions from pandemic response to a Better Normal. The IT BP defines and maintains three-year capability roadmaps by function, partners with the business for funding, defines business and functional requirements, and coordinates and orchestrates the execution of business solutions. The IT BP also manages and reports on IT service quality, consumption, and cost for WNCD and collaborates with Delivery Center representatives on the design, development, and delivery of applications, infrastructure, and cybersecurity.
Within a matrixed organization, you will be expected to actively contribute to the leadership, strategy and overall operation and performance of IT Operations.
As a member of the Extended IT Leadership Team, you will play a key role in the transformation of IT to meet the current and future needs of National Grid.
• Act as the single face and single point of accountability for IT with WNCD program sponsors
• Define and execute the information technology strategy that powers WNCD transformation and long term sustainable success
• Create a culture that initiates, and capabilities that deliver, technological innovation at pace enabling new digital capabilities and business models
• Codevelop and deliver frictionless IT services that allow our teams to collaborate and perform at their very best
• Lead the identification, priority setting and execution of a complex IT change portfolio to deliver significant long-term business value across the WNCD business, including development of business cases to support investment prioritization across portfolios
• Drive all aspects of fiscal management including setting and gaining support for the strategic IT investment plans of the WNCD business. Manage the annual and long term financial budgets including year-on-year cost efficiencies to reduce like-for-like IT costs by improving cost transparency, rationalizing architectures and challenging consumption to maximize value
• Leverage the global IT operating model to multiply the IT capabilities of the WNCD business
• Build and motivate a highly talented, technologically adept IT of Business Consultants where succession bench strength is defined and delivered. Working with Human Resources, develop a culture that attracts and retains top IT talent
• Responsible for developing and owning the technology architecture for the business
• Measure IT Performance to meet Portfolio targets including application rationalization, remediation plans as needed to achieve operational SLAs
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Talent management and driving team performance - Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Inspirational leader, able to motivate and develop teams.
Collaboration with a wide variety of internal stakeholders.
Successful candidates will be a passionate and visionary technologist able to inspire others to challenge and disrupt the current reality to co-create a compelling technology-orientated future business by
• Being able to spot the potential of new combinations of technologies (some already fully available others barely more than a tantalizing promise – but approaching rapidly)
• Finding ways of turning that potential into business opportunities
• Able to take people along with you, crafting that new culture and successfully executing on those opportunities
• Possess a minimum of 10 years IT leadership experience, typically as a Business Unit CIO, gained at highly respected organizations and having successfully delivered technological business transformation in, desirably, a regulated environment
• Present with gravitas and credibility to build strong relationships, and collaborate, with a wide variety of internal stakeholders and maintain an expert external network
• Be an inspirational leader, able to excite and develop internal and external ecosystem teams to deliver high performance
• Previously have led IT strategy development and execution as part of an overall technology-enabled business strategy
• Demonstrate a strong track record of having created environments to successfully deliver large-scale IT enabled business change at pace
• Possess strong business, commercial and financial acumen having managed large multi-million pound IT budgets
• Have developed highly tuned organizational change management skills and able to successfully lead existing IT organizations through transformation with courage and sensitivity
• Demonstrate substantial experience of developing and improving IT services, managing risk and the overall control environment
• Be able to communicate and co-ordinate multiple tasks simultaneously in a complex and dynamic organization, ensuring an effective balance between internally and externally facing activities
• Prove a track record in the delivery of complex and varied IS services, supporting systems and infrastructure in a multi-vendor environment
• Demonstrate technical credibility and independent judgment and decision-making responsibilities
• Be able to explain how to maximize the value of a partner ecosystem and establish effective governance
• Proven ability to operate in a matrix environment to achieve technology outcomes, interfacing across global delivery centres at all levels
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.