State of Massachusetts Instructors/Lecturers/Trainers - Contractor in Stow, Massachusetts
The Department of Fire Services, through the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy, provides training for firefighters from local fire departments at our Stow, Springfield and upcoming Bridgewater facilities, as well as regionally throughout the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Firefighting Academy delivers nearly 1,000 courses to approximately 14,000 students each year.
The Department of Fire Services is currently hiring 36 instructor candidates at the rate of $19.36/hour. Instructor candidates who successfully meet their audit requirements, receives a positive performance evaluation, and demonstrate an ability to conduct formalized instruction from prepared material, which is predominately skills oriented, shall be eligible for promotion into the Instructor I position at the rate of $21.70. Step increases occur on the hiring anniversary after working a minimum of 200 hours. We are looking to expand our instructor pool to accommodate the upcoming opening of our southeast campus in Bridgewater.
In order to be considered for instructor candidate, you must upload your resume and proof of Firefighter I/II and Fire Instructor I certifications.
Instructor Candidate duties include:
• Works under the direction of an assigned instructor.
• Observes the delivery of training by an experienced instructor.
• May assist the instructor in classroom setup.
• May deliver a segment of instruction under the guidance of the instructor.
• Observes student skills development and evaluates.
• May assist in demonstrating skills.
• Reads MFA instructor manual and signs statement that it is understood.
• Complete the assigned audit process.
• Reviews lesson plans.
- Instructor I duties include:*
• Works under the direction of a lead instructor.
• Delivers instruction from a prepared lesson plan.
• Sets up audio/visual equipment.
• Conducts demonstrations as called for in the lesson plan.
• Coaches students when necessary.
• Completes all paperwork that is required.
• Assists the Officer of the Day, or other staff, as assigned.
• Evaluates/grades specific skills including subjective evaluations.
Requirements to teach any live fire courses:
• Complete Live Burn Training
• Mask fit tested by DFS once per year.
• Complete the online respirator course in LMS once a year.
• Complete a medical questionnaire provided by the DFS Environmental Safety Officer.
To be qualified for the position, candidates must demonstrate the following qualifications:
A minimum of five years of relevant fire service experience such as a firefighter, fire/ems, fire officer, fire investigator, or fire prevention position with a fire department.
Must be an active or retired member of the fire service.
Must be a Massachusetts and/or certified Firefighter I/II with the National Professional Qualification Board or the International Fire Service Accreditation Council.
Must be a Massachusetts or certified Fire Instructor I with the National Professional Qualification Board, the International Fire Service Accreditation Council, or Department of Defense.
Must successfully complete a Massachusetts Firefighting Academy instructor methodology course. A teaching certificate or certificate of completion from another instructor methodology program may be accepted in lieu of the instructor methodology course pending review of curriculum.
Must have superior communication skills
Must have the ability to work under direct supervision
Must be a good listener.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Training and Development
Organization: *Department of Fire Services
Title: Instructors/Lecturers/Trainers - Contractor
Location: Massachusetts-Stow-State Road
Requisition ID: 190008MG