Baystate Health Sterile Processing Technician in Springfield, Massachusetts
Thank you for applying to this position with Baystate Health. Please note the following about this role:
Dept: Sterile Processing
Hours: 40 weekly
Schedule: Eves, 3p-11:30p with a weekend and holiday rotation
All candidates are asked to include a resume with their application.
The Sterile Processing Technician performs a variety of functions from decontamination of bio-hazardous material, to cleaning, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of various instruments and equipment according to manufacturer's instruction and/or hospital protocol. The decontamination process requires application of knowledge regarding infection control and safety. Decontamination utilizes automated processors and manual methods. The inspection process requires attention to detail in the visual inspection of instruments and equipment after cleaning and before assembly. In the assembly process, the technician is responsible and accountable for correct assembly of instrument kits, therefore knowledge of surgical instrumentation is necessary. The sterilization process includes operation of steam, ethylene oxide, and low temperature gas plasma sterilizers according to policies and/or manufacturer's instructions.Strict adherence to sterilization parameters and accurate documentation of all the parameters associated with the sterilization process is required. Quality indicators for all aspects of sterile processing are required to provide our customers with sterile, accurately assembled kits and case carts for surgical procedures. These quality checks include biological and chemical monitoring of sterilization processes and review of all processing records for compliance.The Sterile Processing Technician must have the ability to prioritize work assignments, work in a fast-paced environment and interact with peers, nurses, physicians and other health care professionals. Maintenance of a clean, organized work area is essential for work flow. All Sterile Processing staff are responsible for the inspection of sterile goods for package integrity and expiration date. Various other clerical duties are performed in addition to the previously mentioned documentation.
1) Demonstrates knowledge of basic concepts of Infection Control, and can adapt this knowledge to Sterile Processing procedures. Understands sufficient medical terminology to discuss supplies needed for medical and nursing personnel.
2) Understands the cleaning products and procedures used within the department and is able to choose the appropriate product and cleaning method for each item.
3) Operates and maintains all mechanical cleaning machinery and sterilizers according to manufacturer's recommendations and/or hospital procedures. Identifies machine malfunction and promptly reports to supervisor and/or clinical engineering.
4) Responsible for the operation of steam, ethylene oxide and low temperature gas plasma sterilizers and have full knowledge of their operation process and parameters.
5) Performs biological and chemical monitoring tests on all sterilizers including: steam autoclaves and low temperature gas plasma, as often as required. Interprets and maintains accurate records of the testing results. Maintains accurate records of sterilization processes and all parameters associated with sterilization cycles.
6) Process and maintain surgical instruments, trays, basins, miscellaneous supplies and devices according to manufacturer's directions. Assembles instrument trays 5-8 kits per hour with accuracy. Identifies, inspects, tests, assembles, packages, wraps and sterilizes all reusable instruments and miscellaneous devices.
7) Performs proper loading and unloading of all sterilizers and is accountable for release of sterilized items.
8) Inspects sterilized packages and trays for damages in accordance with event related policy. Inspects and returns sterile items to proper location.
9) Prepares surgical case carts/specialty carts accurately, utilizing correct preference cards or inventory sheets. Delivers carts to user area in a timely manner.
10) Attends departmental in-service programs and/or signs meeting minutes. Responsible for all annual and safety competency requirements.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Previous experience in sterile processing or perioperative environment preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to read and comprehend English language
2) Ability to follow detailed instructions, possess good customer service skills and be able to perform a number of activities according to priority in a fast paced environment
3) Complete appropriate orientation, 8-12 weeks
4) Ability to perform essential functions within the following Sterile Processing areas: Decontamination area, prep and packaging, sterilization
5) Web based training, and hand hygiene
GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Sterile Processing Technician - Various
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs