South Middlesex Opportunity Council Senior Warehouse Assistant in Springfield, Massachusetts
Organize and pack groceries for people seeking emergency food. Facilitate the smooth operation of the process of acquiring food, in an efficient, thoughtful and timely manner.
• Check the packing room supplies and refrigerator and re-stocks accordingly
• Keep packing room shelves clean and wiped down on an as-needed basis
• Maintain a clean and sanitary environment in packing room, refrigerator and freezers
• Insure food safety
• Carefully review intake forms to insure accurate and family appropriate packing as well as to insure requests are fulfilled
• Notify intake workers when USDA food commodity is no longer available
• Notify intake workers when special items arrive or are depleted
• Notify Program Director of low inventory items
• Receive and sort food donations
• Re-package large food donations for dissemination
• Break down boxes
• Unload truck and sort & store food appropriately
• Prepare packing bags
• Sweep floor and mop floors in packing room and other areas of the pantry daily and on an as needed basis; fill out appropriate cleaning logs daily
• Train volunteers in packing/sorting room
• Help seniors shop in the food choice program
• Engage all clients by understanding and addressing their needs whether within or outside the scope of the specialty.
• Attend & participate in team meetings, follow up with client service plans and communicate effectively with clients and staff in other specialty areas.
• Ensure compliance with program/department, agency and/or funder requirements, as well as, SMOC policies & procedures.
• Food Bank ordering with oversight from the Program Director
• Maintain USDA tracking form
• Create a weekly list of out of stock warehouse food items
• Organize and sort weekend Food Project Items
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• Prior warehousing experience helpful.
• Previous experience working with culturally diverse populations.
• Ability to work with other diverse populations (e.g. mentally ill, chemically dependant).
• Strong organizational skills
• Preferred knowledge of food safety regulations.
• Directly reports to Program Director, Emergency Food Pantry.
• Direct reports of this position are (N/A).
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs during a full workday
• Ability to load and unload vehicles/trucks with up to 50 lb boxes throughout the day
• Ability to use 2-wheelers,dollies and other non-electric moving equipment
• Bending, stooping, carrying required
Warehouse environment may not be climate controlled. As part of the responsibilities of this position, the Warehouse Assistant will have direct or incidental contact with clients served by SMOC in various programs funded or administered through the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.