City of Somerville Construction Procurement Manager in Somerville, Massachusetts
Statement of Duties
Employee is responsible for ensuring that the City engages in cost effective purchasing procedures and is in compliance with Massachusetts law governing procurement of municipal supplies, services, materials, and equipment and construction projects.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
· Serves as bid manager to a variety of City departments seeking contracted services and supplies.
· Works with project managers and department heads to develop scopes of work and specifications, to establish minimum qualifications and evaluation criteria used in procurement documents.
· Organizes and conducts routine meetings with selected City departments to prepare and update procurement plans.
· Communicates regularly with project managers and department heads to ensure they understand and adhere to procurement and contracting laws, policies and procedures.
· Works with departments to determine the best and most appropriate pricing methodology to use when requesting quotes and bids.
· Prepares and reviews invitations for bid and requests for proposal prior to advertising them.
· Responsible for advertising all bids in the required manner, local publications, Central Register, Goods and Services, etc.
· Serves as primary point of contact and scheduler for all phases of procurement process.
· Works with City departments to identify prospective contractors, consultants, vendors offering services and supplies, including construction and design services, that the City procures.
· Ensures that all opportunities to sell to and contract with the City are offered to a diverse and qualified pool of suppliers.
· Participates in the PCS Department’s initiatives and programs to attract bids and proposals from diverse suppliers, including but not limited to minority- and women-owned businesses (MBEs and WBEs).
· Responsible for the preparation and execution of awarded contracts.
· Maintains neat and complete records of procurement projects, including procurement-related correspondence.
· At the Chief Procurement Officer’s direction, receives and investigates complaints and bid protests brought under the terms of M.G.L. c7 §38; M.G.L. c. 30 §39M, M.G.L. §30B, M.G.L. c. 149.
· Maintains records, databases, prepares reports and performs related work as required.
· Contributes to and participates in all PCS department-wide projects and ongoing efforts including but not limited to: improving equity in procurement, sustainable and environmentally preferable procurement, improving the clarity and efficiency of public procurement, training department-level managers about procurement and contracting basics, vendor outreach and vendor performance records, etc.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, supply chain and operations management, finance, or closely related field and 5 years of experience with project management in engineering, public works, facilities, construction or closely related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Demonstrated knowledge of public procurement
Demonstrated knowledge or familiarity with invitation for bid and request for proposal processes.
Proven track record of ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official (MCPPO) certification within six (6) months of appointment.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Knowledge and experience with public purchasing; knowledge of MS Office software program including database skills; knowledge and experience with databases.
Abilities: Problem solving ability; excellent writing ability including the ability to develop performance standards and measures. Must be self-motivated with the ability to work effectively as an individual and as a member of a team. Must possess initiative and attention to detail.
Skill: Administrative skills including ability to organize large amounts of paperwork and data. Must be able to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects in a changing environment
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments. Work in the field involves regular exposure to outside elements.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Few physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment and computer paper (up to 30lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Salary: $74,664.57 annualized, plus benefits
Date Posted: March 6, 2023
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request. Persons with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication (i.e., CART, ASL), written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures in order to access the programs, activities, and meetings of the City of Somerville should please contact Adrienne Pomeroy at 617-625-6600 x 2059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Employment Requirements for All Employees:
MA Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) clearance
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Completition of Conflict-of-Interest Law Education training for municipal employees
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public, all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Exemptions and/or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed and will be reviewed by the City of Somerville Human Resources Department on a case-by-case basis. Learn more at www.somervillema.gov/HR/COVID19.
Benefits Somerville Offers:
4 weeks annual vacation (for non-union positions) & for union positions this varies by contract
Medical insurance through the Group Insurance Commission (GIC)
Dental coverage low and high plans through Cigna
Vision care through the Vision Service Plan (VSP)
Long term disability through Sun Life
Group and voluntary life insurance through Boston Mutual
Flexible spending plans through Benefit Strategies
Deferred compensation through a choice of three vendors
Employee assistance through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by E4Health
Cancer screening & wellness release
Somerville Retirement Pension System
MBTA pass program
FREE Blue Bikes membership
Eligible employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
Benefits listed are for benefits-eligible positions and the above information is meant to be a general overview of the benefit programs offered by the City of Somerville and not a binding contract.
Powered by JazzHR