National Grid Cable Splicer Apprentice in Somerset, Massachusetts
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
Position Cable Splicer Apprentice
Pay Rate $35.05
A Cable Splicer Apprentice will be required to progress to Splicer 1/C and perform work associated with the installation, maintenance, and upgrading of underground cable on the distribution, subtransmission, and transmission system. Training and testing will accompany changes in classification. All other duties usually assigned this classification.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist underground crew in the installation, pulling, removal, and maintenance of cable and equipment.
• Demonstrate proficiency in all splicing techniques and cable systems. Creating splices for secondary and 4 kV cable systems.
• Observes, learns, and performs duties of all splicers' to progress within specified timeframes to next higher classification. Responsible for demonstrating safe work habits in accordance with the NGRID Safety Standards for all assignments at various work sites
• Must be able to read, write, and speak English to communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors
• Must successfully complete mechanical aptitude screening (i.e. Bennett Mechanical/EEI CAST testing).
• Must successfully complete all requirements of the "Pre-Underground Line School."
• Demonstrate mechanical aptitude and ability to progress to the next higher classifications in the roster within the designated timeframes, up to and including Splicer, or leave the department.
• Must be able to safely operate all Company vehicles, tools, and equipment
• Must successfully complete all department tests and acquire licenses and certificates, including, but not limited to, System Hoisting Certificate, Red Tagging Test, Asbestos License, etc.
• Becomes proficient with NGRID construction, operating and maintenance standards, and procedures associated with the Red Tagging and Switching System.
• Must have and retain a valid motor vehicle operator's license, which does not restrict driving as to type of transmission or hours of operation. Also, must obtain and retain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with proper endorsements to operate all applicable Company equipment, pass DOT physical, and obtain system hoisting certificate.
• Requires exposure to inclement weather, temperature extremes, high noise levels, vibrations, electrical current, fumes, and odors.
• May be required to work a reasonable amount of planned and emergency overtime, making available to supervisor an acceptable means of off-hour contact by telephone.
• Performs heavy work lifting and pulling over 100 pounds.
• Must be able to climb ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and use aerial bucket at construction sites
In accordance with guidelines regarding companies classified as Federal contractors and consistent with our core commitment of safety, National Grid has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to federal Drug & Alcohol safety regulations governing US Department of Transportation ("DOT") covered positions, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA). As such, the Company’s testing programs and policies regarding the use of federally prohibited drugs or alcohol, for recreational or medical purposes, will remain in effect for these safety-sensitive, DOT covered positions.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.