Whitsons Culinary Group General Manager - MA School Nutrition in North Dighton, Massachusetts
SUMMARY: The Food Service General Manager is responsible for maintaining systems and procedures for all aspects of the Food Nutrition /Dining Program for which he/she oversees. The GM will ensure that all guidelines, relating to the NSLP, are adhered to in all schools, consistently. Stay current with USDA regulations and ensure menus and processes are in compliance at all times.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Maintain systems and procedures for the ordering, receiving, storing, preparing and serving of food related products, as well as menu planning and development using Whitsons approved systems and policies
- Manages program within all budgetary guidelines established by Whitsons.
- Motivates, trains, and manages subordinate Team Members.
- Provide the necessary tools for the team to perform at satisfactory level.
- Maintain a harmonious working relationship with Team by demonstrating consistent and equitable treatment for all Team Members consistently in accordance with Company policies.
- Ensures compliance with applicable health regulations and ordinances and that all schools are prepared for any state or local board of health inspection.
- Develops budgets and operational financial forecasts and is able to explain variances. Responsible for accounting and documenting accurately all financial components.
- Ensures that requirements for appropriate sanitation and safety levels in respective areas are met and staff adequately trained.
- Coordinates and supervises all production, merchandising, quality and cost control, labor management and Team Member training.
- Recruits, hires, develops and retains team using Company required systems, procedures and policies.
- Participates in all wellness and nutrition committees and meetings.
- Must spend 80% of workday in the schools observing and supporting team.
- Conducts recurring inventory; maintaining records to comply with Whitsons, government and accrediting agency standards.
- Controls all expenses such as food cost, labor cost and operating expenses while providing exceptional customer service.
- Manages all purchasing and utilization of government commodities including processed goods.
- Prepares location for internal QA audit by using the "Check Yes" tools.
- Executes all marketing promotions applicable to the district according to the marketing calendar. Ensures marketing, merchandising in place effectually and current at all times.
- Maintains an 80% or above score on the Whitsons Internal Audit and shows increased improvement each year.
- Adhere to all company and district policies and ensure that entire team understands and follows them.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates activities with other internal departments, participates in management team meetings, interfaces with Vendors and key service users within client organization.
- Ensures marketing, merchandising in place effectually and current at all times.
- Looks for opportunities to implement new products and services which support sales growth and client retention
- Monthly or bi-monthly communications to the client and DM, highlighting activity on a monthly basis including any financial information requested by client.
- Manages collections from catering/events and client billings. This includes delivering the client invoices for monthly or weekly business billings within 4 hours of receiving and managing the process of collections with the support of AR and supervisors. Collects all event payments upon delivery with no credit extended, unless event is paid by client's office or department. When required (invoice past due) communicates directly to customers via phone or email.
- Conducts monthly cook meetings with secondary leads/cooks regarding menu offerings
- Create advisory group and/or attend any PTO/District administrative meetings which will assist in driving sales and participation.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by District Manager from time to time.
Education: * Bachelors degree or equivalent with concentration in food and nutrition, food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, business or a related field. OR * Bachelors degree or equivalent with any academic major AND a state recognized certificate in food and nutrition, food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, or business. OR * Associates degree or equivalent with concentration in food and nutrition, food service management, dietetics, family and consumer sciences, nutrition education, culinary arts, business or a related field AND at least one year of relevant school nutrition programs experience. OR * High School diploma or GED AND at least Five (5) years experience in school nutrition programs.
Certifications: * ServSafe Mandatory-- Local food safety certification if required in jurisdiction of employment. Must be knowledgeable of all local health and food safety ordinances.
Computer Skills: * Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications is required. * Must be able to communicate electronically through use of email and other similar computer platforms. * Able to learn new programs easily and quickly.
Other Qualifications, Experience and Competencies: * 5 years experience in Food Service Management as a Manager/Director required. * Minimum 3 year experience in K-12 programs required. Strong interest in school nutrition program development. * Culinary background is required - Must have a passion and an interest in food * Working knowledge of cooking procedures and recipe adherence and scaling. * Must have demonstrated experience developing talent and managing multiple priorities * Must be able to use "critical thinking" skills in order to resolve problems or would result in improving program overall. * Ability to effectively communicate verbally, electronically and written with clients, parents, students and support staff. * Must possess excellent time management and organizational skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. * While performing the duties of this job, the team member is frequently required Sit, walk, talk and hear * Use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. * Be standing on feet majority of the workday in addition to walking back and forth. * Lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Lifting while turning side to side is sometimes necessary. * Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Position may require extended hours including evenings and/or weekends, travel to multiple work sites and occasional out-of-district travel. Must be able to drive his/her own vehicle to other work sites. WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a Team Member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work is performed primarily in a Cafeteria /Food Service establishment. Work is primarily "hands-on" during meal times. Office work is completed before or after meal times. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work and duties that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position, and the Company reserves the right to add additional duties or modify existing duties. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Company and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled