National Grid O&M Worker Apprentice in Malden, Massachusetts
As part of National Grid’s continued commitment to safety, all new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or medical reason can request a reasonable accommodation.
Position O&M Worker Apprentice
Pay Rate $36.10
A Substation O&M Apprentice will be required to progress to Substation O&M Worker 1/C and perform work associated with the installation, maintenance, operation, and repair of electrical or mechanical equipment. Training and testing will accompany changes in classification.
Achieve proficiency in those duties as outlined for this classification.
Assist in the installation, maintenance, operation, and repair of electrical or mechanical equipment.
Perform the maintenance and testing of the AC network system along with cable testing and fault locating of the conventional and URD underground system.
Become familiar with construction, operating and maintenance standards, and procedures.
Develop general knowledge of basic electricity.
Achieve proficiency in Switching and Tagging Procedures
• Must be able to read, write, and speak English to communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
• Must have high school diploma or equivalent/
• Must successfully complete mechanical aptitude screening (i.e. Field Assessment testing).
• Must successfully complete all requirements of the Pre-Substation O&M School.
• Have an aptitude for working with tools.
• Have the aptitude and willingness to progress in the roster. Required to progress to the next higher classification during the designated timeframes, up to and including Substation O&M Worker 1/C, or leave the department.
• May be required to work a reasonable amount of planned and emergency overtime, making available to supervisor an acceptable means of off-hour contact by telephone.
• May be required to handle substances considered hazardous under the U.S. Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Law.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor relative to the O&M Department.
• Must have and retain a valid motor vehicle operator's license, which does not restrict driving as to the type of transmission or hours of operation. Also, must obtain and retain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with proper endorsements to operate all applicable Company equipment, pass a DOT physical, and obtain system hoisting certificate.
• Must obtain and retain any license or certificate required by the job duties.
• Must be physically able to perform routine operating duties.
Please be advised that due to the nature of this position, incumbents are subject to federal Drug & Alcohol safety regulations governing US Department of Transportation ("DOT") covered positions, including the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA). As such, the Company’s testing programs and policies regarding the use of federally prohibited drugs or alcohol, for recreational or medical purposes, will remain in effect for these safety-sensitive, DOT covered positions.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.