Barnes & Noble Assistant Store Manager in Hyannis, Massachusetts
Title: Assistant Store Manager
Location: MA - Hyannis - Cape Cod Mall - 2092
JobLocation: Hyannis, Massachusetts 02601
JobSummary: As an assistant store manager (ASM), you enjoy working with people, are energized by your passion for books and model excellent service every day. As the deputy to the store manager (SM), you focus on the look and consistent presentation of our stores, empowered to make decisions ensuring the shopping experience for our customers is to their satisfaction. You communicate consistently with your SM on your ideas to ensure this experience and drive this through our people, actively participating in bookseller development. In your role, you ensure sales and profit through your ability to leverage resources which results in booksellers who can provide first-class service to our customers. As a leader, you work collaboratively with the team to ensure a store where booksellers are engaged doing what they love: talking about and selling books.
• Ensure consistent, friendly and informed service to customers, first by the example you set and second by the training and delivery of first-class service by the store team.
• Ensure a vibrant bookstore through the flawless execution of bookstore basics.
• Assess the store from the customer’s perspective and use insight to seek and influence improvement with the SM.
• Model handselling skills to drive successful campaigns such as Our Monthly Picks, preorders, etc., to establish book prowess and drive sales.
• Develop the bookselling team through engagement and coaching; work with team by providing feedback to assess and focus on individual strengths and recommend talent for development in the store.
• Ensure the achievement of sales goals and deliver operational excellence to maximize efficiency and minimize loss through timely execution of all processes.
• Ensure compliance to company standards as it pertains to safety, customer communications and all store operations.
• Communicate with your store team respectfully and with urgency on key issues and messages, creating a culture that demonstrates the values of the company.
• Embrace the cluster structure and work collaboratively with others for betterment of all locations.
• Work on the selling floor, which requires physical activity (i.e., prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, climbing).
• Open and close the building, ensuring the safety of our employees and customers.
• Solid bookselling knowledge across various genres and strong understanding of the book industry.
• Enthusiasm for books that is reflected in the excellent standards of service for the local community.
• Experience in managing and developing employees at all levels.
• Effective organization, planning and prioritization of workload.
• Able to delegate and work through others.
• Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably.
• Experience building collaborative and productive working relationships at all levels.
• Deliver honest and constructive feedback.
• Prioritize customer experience above all else.
• Commit to and develop booksellers.
• Execute bookstore basics flawlessly.
• Drive results through thoughtful development.
• Provide feedback, coaching and development.
• Can empathize with and understand people.
• Demonstrate collaboration and ability to adjust style to meet individual needs.
• Provide clear direction, monitor progress and provide appropriate feedback when running the store.
• Understand key financial indicators and make good decisions to drive positive results.
• Solve problems through good decision making, including in ambiguous situations.
• Know the most effective and efficient processes to get things done with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Motivate a team of people through engagement, focused dialogue and feedback.
• Open to feedback and can reflect on this insight to develop and grow.
• Show adaptability and work with a sense of urgency all the time.
EeoStatement: Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
Barnes & Noble
- Barnes & Noble Jobs