Heywood Hospital Safety Specialist, Watkins 2 in Gardner, Massachusetts
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- C.N.A., EMT, Security experience preferred
- Mental/Behavioral Health experience preferred
- Experience with patient care and a desire to work on a Mental Health Unit or other units as needed
Minimum Licenses and Certifications
- AHA Heartsaver CPR Required
- Obtain Crisis Avoidance Training (CAT) within 3 months of hire
- Willingness to do limited hand on care required
Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands), and feels (perceiving attributes of items such as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of fingertips). Occasionally stoops (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist), and kneels (bending the legs at knee to come to rest on knee or knees).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Works together with departmental and healthcare teams to complete assignments.
- Maintains a clean and comfortable environment for patients and visitors.
- Prevents potential safety hazards from occurring by removing or arranging for the removal of safety hazards from the environment immediately.
- Prioritizes and reprioritizes work based on the changing needs of the customers.
- Ensures the safety of patients in the milieu.
- Performs patient checks, and documents the whereabouts of all patients every thirty minutes or more frequently if requested.
- Accounts for all patients' locked belongings and sharps, ensuring they are signed out and back in by the end of the shift.
- Greets and directs all patients, visitors, and hospital personnel that come onto the Geriatric Psych Unit.
- Responds to patient and visitor needs, as well as, provides information and refers matters of concern to staff.
- Provides input and patient information to the team that contributes to the safety needs, development, and implementation of the patient care plan.
- Delivers trays to patients and monitors patient meals.
- Assists patients in completing menus and obtaining additional nutritional needs.
- Performs room safety checks and completes required documentation.
- Provides specialized suicide watch to patients needing it to ensure their safety.
- Maintains and promotes therapeutic milieu to enhance patients' care of plan and treatment.
- Encourages patient conversations, participation in therapy and inter-patient relationships while observing behaviors.
- Acts as a liaison between patients and staff by providing information on patient behaviors to ensure patient safety, as well as, enhance care planning and treatment.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. WATKINS 2,6380
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 646050600202
Position Hours: 24
Weekend Frequency: every other
Holiday Rotation: every other
Job Title: Safety Specialist, Watkins 2
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 07/17/2020