Staples Sr. Manager Solutions Marketing in Framingham, Massachusetts
The Senior Manager, Solutions Marketing is responsible for developing and driving overall marketing objectives, strategies and plans across key product/service solutions as well as strategic product lines. This person will lead a team of marketing professionals in working cross-functionally with merchandising, sales, segment and field marketing, pricing, ecommerce, creative, and marketing operations to develop and implement comprehensive marketing campaigns that grow profitable sales, and expand share of wallet with existing customers. They will also partner outside of the organization with Staples key suppliers and brands.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, results-oriented marketing professional with the ability to drive strategy using customer insights/customer data, oversee execution, and continuously innovate. This role requires successful partnership across various departments/levels, and being a team-oriented influencer and creative problem solver is critical to success.
Key Job Responsibilities
Impact on Business
Develop and execute marketing vision, strategy and plan for assigned solutions and categories with the goal of increasing customer sales, share of wallet and profitability:
• Work with segment marketing and customer insights team to identify opportunities within key personas and /or develop new buyer personas. Define the target customer, their key needs, and develop a holistic plan including optimal vehicle, offer, and promotional mix to best serve the target. Help develop marketing research and analysis including competitive information, company and industry trending, and customer preferences.
• Map the potential buying process for the solution/category, including key roles that will participate in it
• Partner with analytics, merchandising, and segment marketing teams to conduct financial analysis determining market size, growth rates, gap to target, and sales/revenue forecasts.
• Collaborate with analysts on developing customer contact, segmentation and modeling strategies. Track customer performance against target KPIs. Conduct data analysis to measure program effectiveness and to continuously improve marketing programs and campaigns.
• Be primary point of contact for all marketing efforts supporting managed segments/categories.
• Lead cross-functional teams across other marketing groups including segment, digital marketing, email, demand generation, and content/social media to support goals. Partner with other areas to develop and manage solutions based and vertical market approaches.
• Identify relevant content for buyer roles to consume in a variety of formats; partner with creative and content team to develop.
• Partner with key vendor partners on joint marketing efforts.
• Partner with sales activation to support sales; including providing training content, sales tools, and identifying top prospects/suspects within the book of business for each solution/category.
• Manage marketing budget for assigned segments/categories.
Innovation and Change (i.e. improvements to procedures, services, or products, as well as development of new ideas, methods, techniques, services and products)
• Create a pipeline of test and learn opportunities. Execute & refine
• Evaluate and validate Staples value proposition for key solutions; including customer insights, competitive analysis, and customer/financial modeling
• Develop and improve customer segmentation criteria and models
• Actively work with other marketing partners to test new approaches/media across digital, social media/content and mobile marketing.
• Partner with Solutions Marketing in other SBU’s (US Retail, Quill) to share best practices, leverage creative and campaigns
• Key internal customers are Sales Directors/VPs, DMMs of Global Merchandising and their teams
• Key external partners are marketing leads at key suppliers
• Manage team of up to 3 direct reports and a total team of up to 6. Oversee responsibilities and performance of team, conduct full performance appraisals and coaching.
• Foster an environment of learning and innovation to support team members’ professional development, enabling them to meet or exceed business objectives and attain personal career goals
• Lead, develop and mentor team members and make Staples an even greater place to work
• Strong ability to lead/influence across a complex matrixed organization
• Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Marketing or Communications
• MBA and general management experience preferred
• 8+ or more years of strategic planning and marketing experience
• Previous experience in B2B, e-commerce, or brand management a plus
• Previous product or solution marketing experience strongly preferred
• Demonstrated strategic thinking and creative problem-solving activities
• Proactive, quick, decisive, self-motivated individual who can handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Strong Leader; able to keep initiatives moving on time, on budget, and with attention to detail. Able to foresee and prevent problems in advance and fix any issues quickly.
• Strong analytical skills; Able to articulate the most important questions needed answer, identify the best data and metrics to answer those questions, and communicate analytic results in understandable and actionable way.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; Team-orientation, with an affinity for influencing and working across functions in a dynamic often-changing environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
• Strong manager and developer of people
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.