Staples Director UX, Staples eCommerce in Framingham, Massachusetts
MISSION FOR DIRECTOR OF UX
Are you ready to lead an era-defining mission in the User Experience for the 5th largest eCommerce Retailer in North America? Staples is transforming its strategy, branding, and go-to-market. We are looking for an eCommerce UX leader, who will be central in this transformation.
Staples has a history of innovation – creating the Office Superstore category 30 years ago, launching eCommerce in 1998 as an early pioneer, and expanding to become the leader in powering the workplace. Staples eCommerce now provides a broad range of business solutions:
• Purchase and simplify laptop/phone management with a service plan
• Design business documents, and order online for printing & delivery
• Utilize our packing & shipping services to reach-out to customers
• Maintain your facilities and replenish your stock room
• Design your office – from layout, to furniture sets, to assembly
• And while you can still order office supplies online, why not indulge in our breakroom snacks, supplies, and coffee service?
Formerly a public S&P 500 company, Staples was acquired in 2017 by Sycamore Partners, who specialize in retail transformation with companies like Belk, Nine West, Stuart Weitzman, and Talbots. As a private company now, Staples is accelerating its transformation and longer-term strategy. This includes creating new businesses, redesigning our customer experience, and modernizing our technology stack.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITY
Staples is hiring a UX Director to lead the global site experience for B2C, B2B, and mobile for our Staples sites. The role will direct a team of Information Architects, and a team of Visual Designers – to envision, shape, and drive the user experience along the site lifecycle. The ideal candidate will have a passion for creating best-in-class experiences and possess the skills to lead visual design and information/interaction architecture. The leadership role works tightly with the Product Team and Business Team to not only drive UX, but also to influence strategy through customer and design insight. This role is based out of Framingham, MA.
Reporting to the VP of Product, the UX Director will have the following key responsibilities:
• UX Vision and Direction – As the Chief UX Director, this role will work with product and business leaders in close partnership to co-create vision for UX. Creating direction is key as the business transforms its strategy, and the UX Director would need to encompass and lead that larger picture into UX design. Partnership will be critical to converge product, business, and UX into a common customer journey and personalization approach.
• Information and Interaction Architecture – B2B eCommerce has greater depth not only in the purchase path, but also in business utilities such as membership, solution configuration, account management, and replenishment. This role will lead a team in identifying and shaping interaction flows, and lead thinking in bigger picture flows such as customer lifecycle experience. The output will be wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and sitemaps that effectively depict interaction design.
• Visual Design – Direct the development of all user visual experience designs, from concept to usability testing to handoff and agile collaboration with engineering. Provide thought leadership on elegance – designs that function, that inspire, but also are simple. Present, engage, and steer design and deliverables with partners and executive stakeholders.
• Partnership – Build relationships across teams and departments, to drive partnership, co-creation, co-execution, and shared vestment in success.
• Management – Lead a team of interaction designers and a team of visual designers. Grow the team with your mentorship on design principles, best practices, and depth of insight. Also grow the team on agile UX-Product-Engineering methods that increase insight, quality, and velocity.
Qualifications PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
10+ years of professional experience designing interactive online experiences, including web and mobile experience. eCommerce experience is preferred.
UX Vision and Direction
o Able to synthesize the larger picture for the customer and business, sense how we need to move forward, render this into a vision, and “tell the story.”
o Delivered and executed 3 major (12 month+) strategic UX plans, including experience with building and evolving a brand.
o Depth of insight on user-centered design principles and industry best practices.
Information and Interaction Architecture
o Competency in information hierarchy, interaction design, and usability testing.
o Foundational knowledge of content strategy.
o Experience delivering low to high fidelity wireframes in an agile environment, including device responsive design. A portfolio demonstrating a range of work from simple to complex cases; and delivery of UI Styles Guides.
o Competency in e-commerce/website visual design; as well as thought leadership in design aesthetics.
o A portfolio of delivered elegant designs, demonstrating clean aesthetics, with the ability to absorb but simplify high-complexity.
o Strong partnership, communication, and collaboration competencies.
o Able to not only champion/lead a point-of-view, but also engage in push & pull, flexibility, and create openness to challenge and be challenged.
o Experience working with cross-functional teams, particularly with product and engineering teams in an Agile/Scrum process.
o 5+ years of management experience.
o Experience leading teams of 10+ full-time associates preferred.
o Proficiency in Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator), Axure, and related tools. Able to guide team on best tools from the UX toolbox.
o Able to engage with team from high-level (coaching) to low-level (hands-on).
o Agility in coordinating team capacity and deliverables.
CAREER & GROWTH AT STAPLES
Professional development and career growth comes from working on incredible initiatives. Staples is in the midst of a transformation – the type that happens once in an era. The UX Director role is deeply engaged in this transformation, with developmental growth as follows:
• High Level of Ownership Span: The UX Director role spans the entire lifecycle of site experience (high scope), in a large engine (Staples is the 5th largest eCommerce Retailer in North America; with a technology budget of $400M). This is a rare combination. For example, a start-up role might span multiple responsibilities, but has low scale; while Amazon roles have high scale, but often are specialized and deeply focused on one thing.
• Transformation Journey: Staples is transforming not only the business model, but also the customer experience and our technology. We are connecting data science and machine learning to drive personalized and relevant eCommerce experiences for our customers. At the same time, we are modernizing technology with a micro-services architecture on the Netflix Open Source Stack, responsive site design on the Walmart Open Framework, infrastructure on the Azure Cloud, and fulfillment centers with Patented Robotics.
• Velocity Methodologies: The pace of change is fast. This is an exciting, rapidly changing time for Staples. At the same time, we will move forward collectively and with structure. You will be exposed to new, fast processes at Staples (such as Agile UX, and SAFe – Scalable Agile Framework).
• Genuine Culture: All this is done within a culture of genuine people. Come meet our product managers, UX designers, and engineers – we have a great team of talented folks looking to make an impact and work together.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.