Blount Fine Foods Research and Development Intern in Fall River, Massachusetts
Work with a national leader:
Established in Rhode Island in 1880, we are a $300+ million organization and the leading manufacturer of fresh prepared soups and side dishes in the United States. Blount Fine Foods employs more than 1,000 full time employees in 4 facilities.
As consumer preferences, environmental factors, and regulations evolve, the need for food development professionals increases. New challenges and complexities generate new careers. This internship is a unique opportunity to gain insight into the industry from one of its emerging leaders!
Blount has established a corporate product development and food manufacturing program that will provide students with the opportunity to gain first-hand industry experience by working alongside our R&D, Regulatory, QA/QC, Project Management, and Marketing teams. This internship has been designed for the student to gain knowledge in various areas of the food manufacturing industry.
Experiences you will gain:
Although the intern’s interest will guide the experience, a multidisciplinary program is offered to provide the student with an encompassing, meaningful, real‐world understanding of key areas in food development and production. Intern activities could include the following:
· Product Development: Assist the R&D Chefs in developing new products by researching product trends, writing formulations with a focus on quality and cost, creating bench samples, and conducting tastings.
· Commercialization: Assist the Project Management and Commercialization teams with new product launches and existing product updates by coordinating project deliverables and entering product information into controlled databases.
· Regulatory: Work with our Regulatory team to review potential new items for feasibility, create food labels, perform nutritional analysis via computer software, and assist with compliance activities for our certifications and our customers.
· Quality Assurance & Control: Assist our QA and QC teams with raw material and finished good inspection to assure they meet the required specifications.
· Food Science: Perform shelf life analysis and test ingredient functionality with our Food Technologist.
· Packaging Technology: Research, sample, and test various types of packaging for foods with Procurement and Process Engineering teams.
· Marketing: Work alongside Marketing and R&D to conduct trend analysis, stage product photos, and develop sales tools for finished products.
To be considered for this internship, you must:
Be a junior or senior in a degree-granting college;
Maintain an overall GPA of 3.2 or higher;
Major in nutritional sciences, chemistry, biology, biochemistry, business, management, or similar (flexible; must relate to internship focus);
Be able to travel to and from the internship experience; and
Commit to at least 10 weeks for the program (approximately 32 hours per week, start and end dates negotiable)