Eversource Energy Manager, Grid Modernization Technology in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)1.Role and Scope of Position: Manager, Grid Modernization is responsible for leading the planning and execution of the Company’s grid modernization plans with respect to the electric distribution system across the three-state service territory with a focus on the implementation of the company’s distribution management system and overseeing the GIS consolidation effort to ensure strategic alignment with downstream systems. Individual is responsible for leading the technical design and configuration of the distribution management system at Eversource while ensuring that Eversource is receiving maximum business value from its investments. Individual will assess distribution management system product roadmap to ensure that Eversource is utilizing all capabilities to deliver the greatest value to the system operations center and aligning with current business practices. Individual will lead multi-disciplinary teams made up of internal and external subject matter experts from IT, System Operations, Distribution Engineering, Protection and Contol Engineering and Grid Modernization to ensure successful delivery and adoption of the distribution management system at Eversource. Individual will be a thought leader in guiding development and prioritization of projects, coordinating with internal and external stakeholders. Individual will conduct extensive industry research and explore collaboration opportunities working with peer utilities to ensure the Company is leveraging and contributing to industry best practices with respect to distribution management systems. Meeting this objective will require monitoring of the cost and performance of existing products and services, scanning the technology horizon for new alternatives, meeting with other business management to understand current and emerging business needs, performing technical and business analysis on the various technology options, defining the portfolio of technologies, products and services, and communicating these results to Eversource leadership.
- Manage cross-functional teams to identify and assess new technology opportunities consistent with the Company’s objective of providing safe, reliable and resilient energy delivery service to customers while maximizing the value of clean energy resources and supporting the Company’s goal of carbon neutrality by 2030.
- Guide development and communication of an enterprise strategic roadmap and investment plan for DMS across multiple states and business units.
- Manage a team of engineers and data analysts to prioritize DMS project build tasks including but not limited to the model build from GIS, defining and building supporting engineering datasets, configuration of advanced applications such as FLISR
- Participate in the GIS consolidation implementation to oversee the consolidation of Eversource’s data model and system to ensure it meets the integration requirements of other operational technologies such as OMS, DMS, DERMS, and Synergi
- Lead the technical project team through testing by prioritizing, evaluating, and approving test results.
- Foster a highly agile team environment to continually look for ways to improve performance within the project
- Ensure the Company’s strategic priorities related to new technologies are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to gain a thorough knowledge of the Company’s strengths, weaknesses and opportunities, and support the cross-functional participation in the development of strategic planning in the new and emerging technology space.
- Forecast future technology requirements based on analyses of technology trends and business requirements, and developing a technical vision that supports the Eversource business strategy
- Perform cost/benefit analyses of potential technology solutions and propose long range plans for managing and deploying telecommunications technology
- Lead efforts to engage external experts from academia and industry to gather best practices, identify new opportunities and demonstrate the Company’s efforts to support grid modernization objectives
- Ensure maximum value is derived from partnerships or external collaborations with academic and research partnership activities.
- Draw upon internal and external subject matter experts in grid modernization technologies such as distribution automation, distributed generation interconnection, system load flow, energy storage, microgrids, and Volt VAR optimization.
- Demonstrate creative and rigorous thought leadership to identify and design opportunities to deploy technologies to advance the goals of distribution system modernization.
- Exhibit excellent written and oral communication skills, including support for executive level reviews and approvals.
- Foster a productive, engaging and inclusive work environment in which open communication is encouraged and obstacles to open communication are addressed quickly.
- Promote and encourage a positive, cooperative and efficient work atmosphere.
- Guide direct reports when challenging situations are encountered and help them to be successful.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and communications within the leadership team to share ideas, spearhead inter-disciplinary projects and coordinate common work efforts.
- Participate in regulatory proceedings and external stakeholder forums to educate and advocate for the benefits of grid modernization programs.
- Work as a member of the Grid Modernization leadership team to ensure the Company’s grid modernization strategic priorities are responsive to industry developments and continue to maximize value over time, capturing new opportunities as they emerge.
- Technical Knowledge/Skill: Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and operations technology such as DMS, SCADA, OMS, etc. ; understanding of operations within an electric distribution system control center and the utilization of operational technologies within this environment; strong analytical skills including experience using qualitative tools in strategic development; business development aptitude with strong presentation skills; familiarity with grid modernization technologies; strong leadership skills to penetrate and work effectively throughout the organization; demonstrated competency and proficiency in oral and written communications. Ideal candidate is customer driven; displays initiative as a change agent with a can-do attitude; accepts responsibility and holds others accountable; participates in and facilitates team effectiveness; assumes the role of team leader; and makes sound decisions to support strategic objectives. Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology (MS in Engineering or MBA preferred) Experience : A minimum of ten years of experience in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electrical utility industry required which includes managerial, supervisory and/or team leadership experience. Licenses & Certifications: None.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- Travel throughout the service territory is frequently required.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, and writing and typing
Mental Aspects :
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and remain self-directed is required.
- Work includes technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting.
- This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs