Boston College Senior/Content Writer, Carroll School of Management in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.
The Carroll School of Management at Boston College—one of the nation’s leading business schools—is looking for an accomplished, energetic, and highly skilled communicator and storyteller to serve as Content Writer.
Reporting to the Director of Content Development, the Content Writer crafts highly readable and engaging stories for a large and wide-ranging audience. As part of a small communications team, she/he also takes part in establishing the strategic directions for overall marketing and communications and helps execute the strategy through a broad variety of means and channels.
The Content Writer shares responsibilities that fall into several major areas of focus, which include:
● Creating original and compelling content for e-letters, the Carroll School homepage, and other channels. This includes news and feature writing about cutting-edge research and innovative teaching, as well stories about alumni and students.
● Editing and fact-checking content created by members of the communications team, student journalists working with the team, and freelancers.
● Planning social media content; helping to devise new campaigns for the different social channels; researching, writing, and editing posts.
● Managing the Carroll School homepage; building web pages for new content; and maintaining and updating the school’s website.
● Creating and editing content for marketing collateral; participating in video and podcast initiatives; and related responsibilities such as internal communications within the Carroll School.
The work is highly visible, both inside and outside the Carroll School. The Senior Writer not only works with a wide array of partners within the University, but also creates and contributes to work seen by all stakeholders. These include students, faculty, alumni, parents, prospective students, and friends as well as business-school leaders internationally and members of the media.
Hiring Range: $52,400 -$65,500
Candidate will have some experience as a writer and content development specialist, working in marketing and communications or more generally in editorial services and journalism.
Hiring Range: $57,850 - $72,300
Minimum of five years of experience as a writer and content development specialist, working in marketing and communications or more generally in editorial services and journalism
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or—just as well—an otherwise strong and successful liberal arts background.
● Demonstrable skills as a writer and communicator; impressive attention to editorial detail.
● Ability to work independently as well as with a team, and to handle some technical aspects of a university communications operation (e.g., web and social media management).
● Experience with content management systems and social media coordination.
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
Tuition remission for Employees
Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Low-Cost Life Insurance
Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
Paid Holidays Annually
Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts background checks including education, and verifies COVID-19 vaccination as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity .
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination .