Harvard University Science Writer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
54616BRAuto req ID:54616BRJob Code:CM0057 Writer III Location:USA - MA - Boston Business Title:Science WriterSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :057Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications:• Bachelor’s degree and minimum of five years related work experience.
• Applicants wishing to be considered for this position must include a cover letter and three relevant science writing samples in addition to their resume. Finalists will be asked to complete a comprehensive writing assessment.Additional Qualifications and Skills:• Advanced degree preferred, along with a strong background in science writing, storytelling, and editing at an academic institution, within the biomedical industry, or for a news outlet. Proficiency in AP style.
• Demonstrated ability to read, grasp, and interpret peer-reviewed research, including basic science; to gather information, conduct background research and effective interviews, write effectively and efficiently on deadline, edit, fact-check, and secure source approvals; and to translate complex information—especially scientific content—into concise, clear communications for both lay and scientific audiences.
• Familiarity working with biomedical researchers, academic and scientific leaders, alumni and donor communities beneficial.
• Experience creating compelling content across a number of formats—text, audio, video, and emerging technologies—and tailored to target audiences preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment and commitment to Harvard Medical School’s work, mission, and community values.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, attention to detail, and a demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and ensure timely production of content under the pressure of last-minute deadlines and changing priorities.
• Team player who has a positive attitude and is solutions-oriented. Ability to build and sustain report with stakeholders.
• Skilled in navigating organizational boundaries and collaborating effectively.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suites. Experience with Drupal or similar content management system, Photoshop, and audio and/or video editing and production experience helpful.Additional Information: This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while the Massachusetts COVID-19 state of emergency restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments’ business needs.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture (https://hr.fas.harvard.edu/inclusive-culture) of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values (https://hms.harvard.edu/about-hms/campus-culture/mission-statement-community-values)
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Department:Office of Communications & External Relations (OCER)Pre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentitySchedule:35 hours/week | Monday-Friday Job Function:Communications Job-Specific Responsibilities:Specifically, the Science Writer will:
• Explore, understand, distill, and write and produce content about basic, translational, and clinical science research in a concise, compelling way that captivates readers while upholding scientific integrity and accuracy.
• Work directly with the Director of Science Communications on research and science-related content for story approach, treatment, and content review.
• Write news releases, research briefs, profiles, feature articles, and other content—about a wide range of complex scientific and institutional topics—on deadline and tailored to key audiences and channels (website, e-newsletters, magazine, social, podcasts, etc.).
• Cover the School’s education, service, leadership, and other non-science news and initiatives as assigned by the Director of Editorial Services.
• Manage assigned beats encompassing Quad-basic science departments, institutional priorities, and affiliated hospitals and research institutions.
• Build relationships with faculty, trainees, and other appropriate sources and proactively enterprise story ideas, mapping strategy and rationale for coverage.
• Provide counsel and authority to faculty, trainees, and students on appropriate levels of coverage and timing for news stories and releases, as well as on how to most effectively communicate their work to external audiences.
• Produce, or collaborate with internal multimedia and/or digital team to produce, short videos, video clips, photo slideshows or galleries, audio clips, and podcasts. Produce social media-friendly content to accompany individual articles or other content.
• Share content proactively with news media outlets and arrange interviews when appropriate.
• Collaborate and coordinate with communications colleagues across the office, School, University, and affiliated hospitals to help ensure consistent, clear, and accurate messaging.
• Contribute to editorial and production calendars to help organize, plan, and schedule content for various channels.
• Research, draft, and consult on executive speeches and talking points.
• Additional duties as assigned.School/Unit:Harvard Medical School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Job Summary:Harvard Medical School is seeking an insightful, creative, enterprising, and productive Science Writer to join its Office of Communications and External Relations. Reporting to the Director of Editorial Services and working closely with the Director of Science Communications and Media Relations, the Science Writer will conceptualize and execute content that creates a depth of understanding about the contributions and impact of the Harvard Medicine community, advancing the School’s strategic priorities and its mission to improve health and well-being for all.