Novartis Pharmaceuticals Quantitative Systems Pharmacologist-Senior/Principal Scientist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
7! The number of sites globally where NIBR associates contribute to Novartis’ mission to reimagine medicine. NIBR is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm of NIBR, and includes about 1000 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application. PK Sciences (PKS) partners across both NIBR and Global Drug Development organizations to advance the scientific knowledge of pharmacokinetics, metabolism and clinical pharmacology, and bring it to bear on drug discovery and development challenges throughout R&D. We are looking for a motivated individual to join PK Sciences as a Quantitative Systems Pharmacologist.
The Modeling & Simulation function is embedded within PK Sciences and Translational Medicine. Our main objective is to enable quantitative and rigorous decision making at each stage of the process from target identification through to first-in-human studies. As a Quantitative systems pharmacologist you will always be looking for innovative ways modeling and simulation can be applied to drug discovery. Additionally you will understand experimental design, be a great communicator, a strong collaborator and highly self-motivated. As PK Sciences support all therapeutic modalities and therapeutic areas there are a lot of novel and exciting scientific questions to address. If you would like to help in shaping our function – come and join us!
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Identify high-impact research questions
• Develop and apply a range of (innovative) modeling and simulation approaches to support and influence critical decisions in drug discovery and development across disease areas
• Analyze, interpret, integrate, and report preclinical and clinical PK/PD data
• Build multi-scale quantitative systems pharmacology models to address project questions and provide scenarios to the project team to guide decision making e.g. identify molecule design criteria based on early PK/PD understanding, biomarkers, influence combination strategies and optimize dose and dosing schedules.
• Collaborate with colleagues from different quantitative disciplines
• Participate in PKS and project sub-teams to define PKS strategy and experimental design to support compound progression and development.
• Identify potential project hurdles, suggest solutions and contribute to contingency plans.
• Publish or present internally or externally as a contributor to enhance Novartis and M&S visibility.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• PhD in BioEngineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mathematics, Physics or closely related field. Fluent in English.
• Good understanding of cell biology and physiology
• Experience working with large and/or complex datasets
• Proficient in a scripting language (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python) and statistical software (JMP, R, etc.). Skilled in parameter estimation, mathematical problem solving, data analysis & visualization
• Demonstrated ability to communicate modeling results to non-experts to facilitate strategy and decision-making
• Demonstrated success in working cross-functional team in a highly dynamic, matrixed, project-team environment
Quantitative Systems Pharmacologist-Senior/Principal Scientist
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
*This role can be hired at Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist level dependent on relevant experience
Research & Development
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.