City of Cambridge Motor Equipment Repairworker/MEO in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Working Foreperson performs skilled repair and maintenance of motor equipment; inspects and troubleshoots gasoline and diesel internal combustion engine-powered vehicles and other engine powered equipment; does tune-ups; repairs electrical systems; adjusts brakes and clutches, adjusts or replaces carburetors; does front-end work such as wheel alignment; removes and replaces clutches and transmissions, removes and disassembles diesel and gasoline engines, replaces faulty or work parts; grinds valves; performs engine overhauls; performs auto body work and related welding and metal working duties. May also perform preventive maintenance tasks such as lubrication and replacing oil filters and other similar duties. Also performs skilled repair of diesel equipment; troubleshoots diesel equipment to determine repairs; maintains and repairs diesel engines on trucks, heavy construction equipment, and other diesel-powered equipment; repairs ignition, fuel, and electrical systems. May supervise a small crew of workers at a lower skill level such as laborers, helpers, and maintenance workers. Perform other, and related duties as assigned. **__
- Two (2) years of mechanic experience
- Must possess a current and valid Commercial Driver's License Classification B
- Must present a valid Department of Transportation medical certification.
- Must possess a satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must also provide, upon interview, a copy of their unattested driving record, obtainable at the RMV and dated within the previous six months.
- Candidates must register with the FMCSA Commercial Driver's License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
- All candidates will participate in an on-road driving assessment as part of the interview process.
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS: * Lifting between 25-100 pounds, proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*ADDITIONAL BENEFITS: *
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision benefits
- Vacation and sick leave eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Clothing Allowance, $1000 per year
Applicants may be eligible for additional compensation based on relevant certifications and licenses including ASE certifications and Master Technician status.
All applicants must*complete a Labor Service Application available from and returned to:* Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312 **__
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. THE CITY IS COMMITTED TO ADVANCING A WORKFORCE CULTURE OF ANTIRACISM, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Public Works Department (DPW)
Job Title: Motor Equipment Repairworker/MEO
Job Code: C674
Civil Service Position: Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations
Union Affiliation: Teamster Local 25
Hours Per Week: 40 hours per week
POSTING DATE: February 26, 2021
RATE: $21.02 - $28.69 per hour + Excellent Benefits