Sanofi Group Head of New Device Technology Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts
About The Role:
As Head of New Device Technology Research, your group is fully accountable for leading the innovation process of combination products of high complexity and emerging maturity starting from patient needs through concept generation and feasibility analysis, with a goal of creating the next Sanofi drug-device combination product delivery platform. This includes collaborating with partners to gather patient needs, determining portfolio requirements, project scoping, leading prioritization of efforts and budget development; key-stake holder management, project planning and scheduling; as well as coordinating and monitoring the work of internal and external teams.
This role is at the front end of the innovation cycle for MED at Sanofi and will identify spaces and create technology to form future device-mediated drug delivery platforms. Working in this role will allow for career growth within MED, IA, R&D or Commercial as the cross-functional nature of this role will enable a continuous learner to expand their network through direct impact of the innovations they lead.
The strategic vision of Sanofi Device Development Unit (MED) is to lead the industry in device-enhanced therapies with the ambition to develop best-in-class drug-delivery systems and connected medical devices that are patient-centered, innovative and differentiated, added-value to the Drug, environmentally sustainable, cost effective, continuously improved throughout life cycle and that are helping patients improve their quality of life by empowering them to take control of their disease.
Our products and solutions sit on top of our market leading technology platforms which we continue to evolve. We have recruited top talent in the field of Medical Devices to help transform care in General Medicines, Specialty Care, and Vaccines in the area of drug delivery devices. Our teams have developed and released to market auto-injectors, pens, safety syringes, and we are gearing up for more expansive patient experiences, including the development of an on-body large volume device.
· Lead front-end innovation centered around the device-mediated drug delivery technology needs arising from R&D pipeline, Global Business Units portfolios, MED Platform leads and industry / market insights
· Leverage and collaborate openly with several units in MED, in particular for patients and market needs with the Usability, the New Device Product Planning, and the competitive intelligence teams. Gather the Sanofi portfolio requirements in collaboration with the head of Portfolio Management and the DDI team. Interface with Sanofi GBU/R&D through the respective MED Portfolio Owners and the GBU, R&D interface roles. Link to manufacturing technology & process innovation through Industrial Affairs collaborations.
· Establish university and other external relationships to expand areas of innovation aligned with Sanofi future needs
· Translate the overall technology development needs into a prioritized project list for execution, working with key stakeholders across the GBUs to perform the prioritization
· Create the technology innovation development plan (scope, schedule, resources / budget) and lead the internal / external ideation processes
· Accountable to deliver technology development along agreed milestones, budgets and deliverables (Initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control)
· Partner with IP Legal to assess FTO of delivered concepts and secure patent protection on IP generated through the innovation process
· Lead the external companies involved in the innovation process. Ensure IP is assigned to Sanofi, deliverables meet expectations and supplier relationship is maintained / strengthened with each project
· Assess various drug delivery technologies, including but not limited to parenteral, respiratory, ophthalmic, intradermal, etc., and their applicability to Sanofi R&D portfolio.
· Continuously evaluate device-mediated drug delivery technology market trends, while concentrating on the key technologies for Sanofi and need for new platforms.
· Partner with Business Development and Intellectual Property team to align on strategy and management for IP and business case for partnership or acquisition of technology and due diligence activities
· For novel technologies that may have future potential but not yet employed by Sanofi, evaluate “make/develop vs. buy” opportunities.
· Support diversity and inclusion (D&I) principles and lead by example
· Create a collaborative working environment, while leveraging available technology (Zoom, Teams, etc.) where in-person interactions are not always feasible
· Lead & develop a small group of direct reports and engage broader MED personnel in innovation opportunities
· Master’s degree in Engineering or Life Sciences
· 15+ years’ experience in combination product or medical device development of complex technical products
· Understanding of systems thinking (drug+ container+ device+ software+ app = system)
· Strong knowledge of the US/EU external device-mediated drug delivery technology innovation eco-system
· Established network across academic and private innovation hubs
· Solid experience of technology development through external partnership with third parties
· Experience in third party management (of manufacturers and vendors) is preferred
· Expertise around regulatory requirements for parenteral combination products is preferred (21 CFR parts 4 & 820, ISO 13485, 14971 & IEC 62366)
· Approved or pending patents availability is a plus
· Travel: 25%
· This position can work remote two to three days a week
As a healthcare company and a vaccine manufacturer, Sanofi has an important responsibility to protect individual and public health. All US based roles require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of your job responsibilities.
According to the CDC, an individual is considered to be “fully vaccinated” fourteen (14) days after receiving (a) the second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or (b) the single dose of the J&J vaccine. Fully vaccinated, for new Sanofi employees, is to be fully vaccinated 14 DAYS PRIOR TO START DATE.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Better is out there. Better medications, better outcomes, better science. But progress doesn’t happen without people – people from different backgrounds, in different locations, doing different roles, all united by one thing: a desire to make miracles happen. So, let’s be those people. At Sanofi, we provide equal opportunities to all regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. Watch our ALL-IN video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpDBZ-CJKw&t=67s) and check out our Diversity Equity and Inclusion actions at sanofi .com !
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
- Sanofi Group Jobs