Mathematica Director of Business Development and Client Partnerships, U.S. Department of Education in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Mathematica seeks a passionate, visionary leader to be the Director for Business Development and Client Partnerships (“Director”) for the U.S. Department of Education (ED). The Director leads Mathematica’s strategy, business development, and client relationships with ED and helps oversee and advise on our ED project work. Our work with ED includes research and evaluation, capacity building and technical assistance, data analytics, operations, surveys, and other data collection services. The Director works collaboratively with other leaders in the Education and Employment Division of the Human Services unit and across the company to support and expand Mathematica’s offerings in education.
The ideal candidate should have a commitment to Mathematica’s mission and a demonstrated ability building and growing a diverse portfolio of work with ED.
Responsibilities of the Director for Business Development and Client Partnerships for the U. S. Department of Education (ED) include:*
- Advance Mathematica’s position as a leader in the use of data and evidence for improving education programs and policies
- Lead development and execution of strategic plans for work with ED
- Grow and diversify our work with ED
- Engage with clients across multiple offices and programs in ED to understand client needs and perspectives on issues facing states, districts, schools, families, and students
- Engage with ED staff to understand their perceptions of Mathematica and how we can best address their needs
- Monitor other forms of client satisfaction such as performance information from the Contractor Performance Assessment Reporting System
- Support the development and adoption of new approaches that improve our ability to meet existing and emerging client needs
- Develop annual plans around staffing and external partnerships to pursue opportunities with ED
- Lead business development planning and proposals
- Lead strategic projects with ED
- Participate in monthly review of ED projects
- Oversee quality assurance plans for all ED projects and proposals
- Advise project and proposal teams
- Respond to client questions or concerns about our work
- Contribute to the leadership of the Education and Employment Division within the Human Services unit and Mathematica**
- Provide thought leadership and public commentary around issues critical to ED **
- Maintain a professional reputation as a substantive expert on programs, policies, and other issues that affect schools or students **
- Visionary leader who is strategic and passionate about Mathematica’s mission and delivering the best solutions to our clients**
- Demonstrated commitment to client-centered approaches that prioritize client needs and goals**
- Commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture**
- Strong leadership, management, and organizational skills with experience successfully managing proposals and projects using a collaborative, team-building approach **
- Demonstrated ability to lead change across organizational units**
- Powerful communicator and careful listener who effectively engages and inspires clients and colleagues**
- Experience successfully leading projects for ED, preferably for the Institute of Education Sciences (IES)
- Experience growing and managing substantial contract backlog; ability to manage contract backlog of over $100 million
- A master’s or doctorate degree in social science, education research or policy, or relevant discipline or a combination of equivalent education and work experience
- Ten or more years of work experience in research, evaluation, or support of districts and schools and at least five years of experience successfully leading projects for ED, preferably for IES; experience with other offices is also valued
- Three or more years of experience leading business development and forming strong relationships with ED, particularly with IES and additional ED offices
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work. As a winner of the "Excellence in Diversity Award," we know that building an inclusive culture based on the diverse strengths of employees from different backgrounds is key to our success.
Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor; MI, Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Mathematica Jobs