City of Cambridge Chief Information Officer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The City of Cambridge is seeking a seasoned IT professional to lead the Information Technology Department (ITD) as a member of the City's leadership team reporting to the Assistant City Manager, Fiscal Affairs. With an operating budget of $9.1 million, Capital budget of $2.0 million and 34 full-time employees, ITD provides centralized technology services to approximately 1,500 users working in 42 departments located in 40 municipal buildings across the City. ITD is responsible for maintaining all enterprise-wide municipal computer applications, the City Website and managing the fiber optic network that links all City locations.
- Sets the mission and vision of the IT organization to foster a customer-focused, value-added culture and mindset.
- Leads development and oversees implementation of the IT strategy and roadmap, in partnership with City leadership and Departments.
- Leads and facilitates IT governance for the City and oversees implementation of governance-approved projects.
- Serves as a trusted advisor and develops and maintains strong collaborative relationships with City Departments. Works collaboratively with the Cambridge Public School's Chief Information Officer and the City's Emergency Communications Director/Public Safety Information Technology.
- Develops and manages annual operating budget and capital expenditure budget.
- Provides strategic direction and oversees the design, development, operation and support of IT systems and applications that fulfill the needs of the City and Departments, including enterprise architecture, application management, data management and privacy, infrastructure and operations support management, information security and risk management, disaster recovery and business continuity.
- Develops and maintains an IT workforce with the appropriate mix of knowledge, skills, and competencies in the areas of technology, information, business, process, and people in order to address the evolving needs of the City.
- Advises on and participates in the oversight of information and technology training plans for all levels across the City.
- Leads, coaches and provides direction to the ITD leadership team and staff.
- Enhances the information and technology capabilities of the City by leveraging internal and external resources.
- Develops and provides oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationships related to information and technology capabilities and solutions for the City.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible related experience with demonstrated success in managing information and technology services, organizations and personnel
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably in an IT setting
- Demonstrated experience in IT strategic planning, organizational development, project management, and working in large complex organizations is required
- Experience with public sector organizations and municipalities is preferred
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in computer science, information systems or a closely related field, or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. Advanced degree in related field is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive background implementing IT systems and services, contractor oversight, re-engineering, collaboration, coaching, innovation and leadership
- Exceptional IT leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate an IT vision and capabilities that inspire and motivate staff
- Proven ability to instill confidence and gain trust across diverse business and IT teams and demonstrate value of IT
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and information technology solutions and how organizations (e.g. municipalities) are using them to drive results and benefits
- Proven track record in setting goals, developing and implementing creative solutions and achieving sustainable results
- Proven success in managing IT services
- Ability to drive organizational change and build capabilities that effectively balance achieving operational efficiencies with delivering innovative and agile IT solutions
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement a workforce plan to ensure the right people are in the right roles at the right time and employees are highly engaged, committed and satisfied
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Must read and analyze large quantities of information. Must have sufficient mobility to get back and forth from office to offsite meetings. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is conducted primarily in an office environment with fluorescent lighting, air conditioning, computers and other standard office equipment, but also involves meetings in other offices or facilities.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 1/13/20. Position will remain open until filled. Review begins January 2020.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: Information Technology Department
Job Title: Chief Information Officer
Job Code: M037-701
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 37.50 hours per week (plus evenings and weekends, as required)
POSTING DATE: December 3, 2019
RATE: $152,000-$167,436 annually + excellent benefits