Harvard University Assistant Director, AA&D Events in Cambridge, Massachusetts
55635BRAuto req ID:55635BRJob Code:358057 Admin Pro/Indiv Contrib Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Assistant Director, AA&D EventsSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :057Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree with four or more years of experience in planning and coordinating meetings and events including virtual or transferable experience.
Must have working proficiency in Zoom, Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook software with technological adeptness for other platforms.
Additional Qualifications and Skills: • Proficiency in detail and creative problem solving
• Excellent organizational, time management, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work and supervise in a group setting
• Ability to work independently, use judgment, and provide excellent client service.
• Competency with full Microsoft Office suite of programs, Zoom, Workfront (preferred) and PerfectTable (preferred)
• Strong written and oral communication skills required.
• Strong computer skills, including database management. Evening and weekend work required.
• Ability to set priorities among competing task, multiple constituencies, and deadlines.
• Able to commit to significant hours outside of regular schedule during event months, including evening and weekends
• This position requires standing for long periods of time and the ability to lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
• This position requires good judgment, discretion, confidentiality, an understanding of protocol and excellent diplomatic skills to represent the Alumni Affairs and Development constituencies in a highly professional manner.
• Some travel required
Overtime required (can be significant during peak periods) including evenings and weekends.
Job requires standing for long periods of time and the ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
Additional Information:This position requires a 3 month orientation and review period.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
This position will be based on our campus in Cambridge, MA. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic this position will be remote until further notice.
About Harvard University
Harvard University, based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, was established in 1636 and is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States. The University is home to over 20,000 students and employs 18,000 people, making us the fifth-largest employer in Massachusetts. Harvard is a special place, filled with diverse, energetic, and talented people who are driven to grow and succeed. By working here, you join a vibrant community that advances Harvard’s world-changing mission in meaningful ways, inspires innovation and collaboration, and builds skills and expertise.
We are a dedicated team of 400 alumni affairs and development professionals supporting Harvard’s advancement activity through roles that include front-line fundraising, alumni and volunteer engagement, technology, events, communications, prospect management and research, business process, talent management and many other areas.
Harvard’s Alumni Affairs and Development team inspires and galvanizes alumni, friends, and members of the University community to support Harvard through philanthropy, governance, and active engagement. AA&D believes a workplace that reflects the diversity of our society and our ever-evolving University constituency makes us a stronger and more effective organization. Our goal is to create an environment of respect that values the many talents, perspectives, and experiences of our community, to deliver the strongest possible results by incorporating diverse perspectives into our daily work, and to make AA&D a great place to work for everyone. AA&D strives to live our values of respect, inclusion, trust, collaboration, innovation and sharing of information in our daily interactions and our work.
To learn more about how Harvard supports diversity and inclusion throughout the University please visit the Office for Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at https://dib.harvard.edu/.
Discover AA&D and Harvard University Benefits
Opportunities for internal advancement
A creative, high- energy, collaborative environment
Generous Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Holiday pay
Medical, Dental and Vision benefits starting on your first day
University-funded retirement plans
Tuition Assistance Program
Transportation benefits to help with your daily commute
Health and wellness discounts, memberships and programs
Additional benefits can be found at https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards.
Accommodations: Harvard University welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request accommodations or have questions about the physical access provided, please let your recruiter know.
Vaccine Requirements: Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/. Department:Alumni Affairs and DevelopmentPre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentityJob Function:Alumni Affairs and Development, General AdministrationJob-Specific Responsibilities: Complex special event, working meeting, donor cultivation and recognition event responsibilities:
• Serves as overall project manager on assigned events
• Drives timelines forward
• Manages stakeholders and drives those to make decisions to ensure timelines are met
• Plans and schedules all event planning meetings
• Creates planning meeting agendas
• Manages event budgets
• Manages event data in Workfront
• Assists with pulling and managing invitation pools
• Drafts and sends briefings and bios
• Manages and runs virtual events on virtual platform (mostly Zoom)
• Scheduling, securing, and negotiating all necessary locations and vendors (as applicable)
• Planning the experience and ambience at events creatively and thematically
• Participates in meetings to develop content and agenda of meetings/events
• Reports out and analyzes event data
• Serves as liaison with other members of Harvard’s development staff as needed
Supervision of support staff as assigned
• Oversee mailings, data management, tracking systems, event seating and staffing of events
• Ensures creation and distribution and tracking of invitations and responses
• Oversees the production and distribution of all event materials (name tags, seating tags, place cards, tent cards, etc.)
• Oversees coordination of travel arrangements and reimbursement for staff and speakers
• Communicates with guests by phone, in writing, and at events
• Ensures the appropriate event-based updates of the Advance Donor Database and the ‘Source’ Intranet
• Works on special projects as assigned School/Unit:Alumni Affairs and Development EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Job Summary: Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) comprises the University Development Office (UDO), Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Development, AA&D Resources, and the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA). There is a unique relationship between the University and the FAS fundraising operations, resulting from a long history in which University fundraising ultimately grew out of College fundraising.
AA&D Resources encompasses teams that support all units across AA&D plus all schools and units across the University. AA&D Resources includes Technology and Support Services, Business Process and Operations, Alumni and Development Services (ADS), Administration and Finance, Events, Communications Creative Services, Research and Prospect Management, Human Resources, and the AA&D Talent Program.
As a member of the Alumni Affairs and Development Events team, this full-time, overtime eligible position reports to the Associate Director, AA&D Events. The Events team is comprised of 10 plus individuals, with individual assignments that frequently overlap required work interpedently and individually.
This full-time exempt position is responsible for the planning, execution, and management of assigned FAS, HAA, AA&D, and University-wide events. The individual will lead the project management for events and high-level donor engagement committee meetings assigned to them. This includes leading virtual events and once approved, in-person gatherings that will require venue and vendor selections as well as contract negotiations. Both virtual and in-person events include the creation of invitation pools, tracking responses, drafting communications, program development, material preparation, budgeting, creating timelines, data management/analysis, and on-site staffing plans and troubleshooting. This person will coordinate and communicate with fundraisers and Senior Management on event and donor engagement strategies. They will work to ensure that events and meetings are developed and implemented to advance the fundraising priorities of the University. In coordination with the Associate Directors, this individual will direct, mentor, and determine event tasks for support staff assigned to their events. In addition to Harvard alumni and friends, this client-service position routinely interacts with administrators, faculty, staff, and outside vendors. This position includes administrative and research duties and may include other related responsibilities and projects as determined by supervisor.