Vecna Engineering Lead - VecnaCares in Burlington, Massachusetts
Vecna Cares, a healthcare and humanitarian technology non-profit organization and social enterprise, seeks an enthusiastic leader who is passionate about making a positive real-world impact in under-served settings globally.
You will use your experience and expertise to drive the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of digital solutions globally. You will lead the development teams and collaborate with the VecnaCares senior team to develop new features and implement the ongoing process improvements of the current projects.
The Engineering Lead will be expected to understand new technologies and identify correct approaches/architecture for the software in development. This leader has a strong vision for the department and promotes the best organizational patterns and practices. You will tackle high-level challenges and balances quality software with speed. He is responsible for feature deployment, stability of VecnaCares core platform stability, and the overall quality of the architecture. You will play a critical role from managing the daily activities of the engineering teams as well as the execution of software development projects against delivery commitments and project plans. The Engineering Lead is also in charge of the management of the department’s staffing, resources, and mentoring, and maintaining the performance engineering department delivering VecnaCares’ global portfolio of digital health projects in low-resource settings – from implementing health record system for refugee camps, to creating a clinical app for safer births in Kenya, to overseeing a data management system for the Special Olympics. The position relies on a foundation of people, project, and technology management, coupled with encouragement for creative approaches to challenges and improvements. This is a management-level role at Vecna Cares, and a full-time, salaried position.
The role demands great technical depth, principled thinking, well-honed engineering judgment, and bold innovation initiative. The candidate should have hands-on development experience with complex enterprise software, ideally with high-availability, distributed systems and databases, have worked with agile software development processes, have a passion for quality, and possess strong communications skills. The role demands people management, client management, and the proven ability to drive change at a systems level. The candidate should have hands-on management experience delivering software solutions, ideally in the health care space, managed teams delivering high-quality solutions to a range of clients, have a passion for technology and social impact, and possess strong communications skills.
What you will be responsible for.
- Management: Manage the engineering group including quality assurance engineers with a focus on the core platform and current development deliverables with engineers working on multiple releases. Possibility of coordinating with remote development teams.
- Innovation: Delivery of our next generation platform, and Developers, QA engineers working on multiple releases. Take an active role in building our core platform including definition of the core architecture
- Collaboration: Work with Director of Programs to align priorities and deliverables. Communicate with relevant open-source community members to maintain awareness of new features and direction
- Strong technical development background. This position will involve 50% daily hands-on coding. Ability to architect solutions and guide teams to sound decisions.
- Achievement: Track record of managing and leading engineering teams of 5-10 people, as well as recruiting/hiring/mentoring
- Methodology: Implement and improve Engineering processes to remove roadblocks and ensure consistent delivery across teams
What you will need for working knowledge.
- 5+ years of experience leading a software engineering organization in a web-based SaaS environment
- Ability to execute on the product strategy that moves the platform to market success while working in an Agile Software Development environment
- 5+ years of experience with modern day programming language such as Java, Scala, Python
- Backbone or Angular, Agile, full SDLC, Eclipse or IntelliJ, Git, Postgres.
- Experience or familiarity with OpenMRS preferred
- Deep understanding of RESTful Api Design
- Experience with continuous integration and test driven development
- Experience with managing offsite teams and consultants
- Ability to effectively lead in an environment characterized by change and ambiguity
- Prior growth stage startup experience