Steward Health Care System Patient Access Coordinator I - 40hrs/Nights in Brighton, Massachusetts
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Patient Access Coordinator I 11PM-7:30AM Night Shift 40hours-Weekends Required
- Position Function:
Customer service liaison for the first impression of the medical center. Greets patients, accurately obtains all demographical information, obtains all regulatory data( HIPPA, Medicare, Mass Pro, JACHO, DPH, Emtala, Subscriber, Health Care Proxy), obtains appropriate signatures from patients along with providing patients with regulatory paperwork. Assures eligibility of insurance date along with collection of copays. Identifies the patient correctly through the EMPI search, and re verifies with patient including re-verification when bracelet is put on patient. Prints appropriate paperwork and escorts patient to location. Answers telephones, works on quality checks of registrations. Assists all hospital departments in facilitating the accurate registration of patients in order for areas to be able to do their job functions. Handles day to day bed placement including scheduled, urgent and emergency admission functions of admitting, transferring, discharging, including all death procedures. Works closely with scheduling and precertification areas within Patient Access.
II. Job Relationships:- Scheduling - Pre certification - Inpatient and outpatient departments/floors - Care Management - Medical Records - Billing - Patient Information
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
2) Obtains accurate patient information and enters into the Meditech computer system-Chooses correct medical record number
-Verifies and updates all demographical information/date of birth-address-maiden name-social security number-Verifies and updates all insurance information -accurate reason for visit -accurate physicians-primary care-attending-referring -accurate locations and status -accurate services -accurate occurrence codes
3) Obtains all regulatory data-Health Care Proxy/advance directives - HIPAA Notices -Medicare secondary payer questions -Medicare rights/secure horizon/blue cross 65/secure horizons -race and ethnic background
4) Obtains accurate insurance information according to policies- obtains accurate insurance name/address/telephone number and identification number -checks eligibility for several insurances according to policies - verifies insurance in the computer
5) Obtains signatures according to policies-General consent of treatment -Hipaa receipt of privacy notice -Financial releases
6) Checks quality of own registrations daily-Runs revenue log daily- corrects and passes into assigned lead
7) Assigns beds for patients according to service and diagnosis-Keeps current census and accurate admission log -Performs transfers and activations in a timely manner
8) Shows respect for confidentiality at all times
9) Answers phones with name and department within 3 rings
10) Knows all down time procedures
11) Is knowledgeable on death process-obtains report of death -fills out organ bank sheet and reports death to organ bank (except for ED) -fills out death certificate -fills out death log
12) Cross trains to several different areas of Patient Access registration
13) Assumes Patient Access front desk responsibilities as needed
14) Follows all departmental policies and procedures
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
1) Assures area they are working in is stocked for next shift
2) Cleans off printers at end of shift
3) Cleans off faxes
4) Assures food is out of refrigerator weekly
5) Tells supervisor if supplies are low
6) Cleans area where worked daily
7) Throws all confidential papers in recycle bin
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports to Team Leaders/ Supervisor and Managers of Patient Access
Reports to Administrative Director of Patient Access
Accountable for exceptional customer services
Accountable for accurate demographical and revenue cycle data entry
Accountable for confidentiality
Accountable for all regulatory requirements
Accountable for getting appropriate signatures and paperwork generated /Consent of treatment.
Accountable to check revenue log daily and to turn it in to a lead
Accountable to follow all policies and procedures of the department and medical center
Accountable for all essential and non essential functions
VII. Qualifications:Minimum Education: High School Graduate Some College preferred Minimum Experience: 2-4 years in a health care setting with medical terminology and registration/check in experience is required. Insurance knowledge preferred. Minimum skills/abilities: Ability to multi task Excellent customer service skills Excellent communication skills Certification/Licensure: Training: Special Qualifications: