Microsoft Corporation Technical Specialist Director - IoT in Boston, Massachusetts
What Joining the Microsoft Team Means
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
To learn more about Microsoft’s mission, please visit: https://careers.microsoft.com/mission-culture
Check out all our products at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us
The Technical Specialist Director , is responsible for leading, developing and managing a high-performing team of IoT Technical Specialists. The ideal candidate will have a proven background in managing technical sales teams, customer-facing consulting experience and deep IoT / M2M market knowledge in specific vertical industries such as Industrial Automation and Manufacturing, Healthcare, Smart Buildings, Smart Retail, Security and Surveillance, and Energy. Ideal candidate will also have proven experience in capturing horizontal technical architectures and the repeatable patterns they provide to drive solution acceleration. Lead a regional IoT technical specialists’ organization that assigned to either IoT Solutions or IoT Devices to accelerate and enable customers & partners to enable and accelerate their digital transformation to the cloud through design, creation, and deployment, powered by both Microsoft and 3rd-party / open-source technologies.
The Impact You’ll Be Making
1. (25%) World-class IoT Technical Specialists Organization: Hire, develop, coach, and lead a team of high-performing IoT Technical Specialists of IoT Solutions & IoT Devices to meet regional performance targets, inclusive of both revenue and design-in goals, through deep technical engagement and building trusted relationships. Develop a strategy of assessing customer & partner needs and ensuring the right technical specialist resources are aligned opportunistically from a skills, experience, and capability to drive impact.
2. (20%) High Quality Tailored and Scalable IoT Solutions: Our success is measured by bringing Microsoft IoT solutions to market with our customers partners, and their satisfaction with the Microsoft IoT platform, to accelerate device sales & Azure services consumption. Drive a regional high quality and scalable IoT solution portfolio, designs, and delivery/deployment in key commercial IoT markets, such as Industrial Automation and Manufacturing, Healthcare, Smart Buildings, Smart Retail, Security and Surveillance, Transportation and Energy. Develop and lean-in in a strategic engagement with core Microsoft IoT accounts, partner, customer, and industry teams, in close partnership with field GSMO, OCP and Industry leaders.
3. (20%) Trusted Technical Sponsor : Act as the regional technical sales executive and sponsor for Microsoft’s IoT solutions & devices centered around Azure, Sphere and Windows IoT to deliver from tactical to strategic end to end solutions. Build strategic relationships with key partners & customers and their key decision makers, influencing their product futures and strategy, driving both short- and long-term opportunities. Grow Microsoft’s leadership position in the region through customer references, successful deployments, local events, and community building. Assist team with establishing relationships with partners and customers.
4. (15%) Sales Pipeline Management: Drive the regional IoT, Sphere and Device sales pipeline management with the regional sales leadership. Help establish and maintain key performance indicators for evaluating team performance against targets and reporting out on team achievements monthly. Strategize with regional sales leadership to support the sales process through deep understanding of sales cycles, forecasting, proper qualification, prioritization, and revenue accountabilities. Aid in development of plans to drive opportunities forward. Strategize with peer managers to develop joint opportunities to land IoT solutions & devices across various teams and organization at Microsoft.
5. (20%) Product Impact: Develop data-driven business cases to advocate customer & partner needs for IoT scenarios throughout Microsoft. Capture patterns of product insights to develop specific scenarios and narratives to help Engineering prioritize the field feedback. Keep up to date with IoT and cloud market trends and competitive insights, engage our Azure IoT, Sphere, and Windows IoT teams to further enhance our industry-leading cloud solutions and services. Act as a technical escalation point to amplify the effectiveness of the team through deep Microsoft product, business group, licensing, corporate and legal relationships. Act as a business escalation point to remove technical blockers by acting as an executive sponsor to customer technical decision makers and acting as the voice of the customer to internal Microsoft.
Who We Are Looking For
Requirements: Education, Experience, and Knowledge:
8+ years of related industry and management experience. While not absolutely required, prior experience with managing high performance technical sales engineers or pre-sales architects is a plus.
Prior work experience in a customer-facing, leadership position within a software and/or services company such as Salesforce, Amazon, VMware, Google, IBM, Avanade, Wipro, CSC, HP, Infosys, Dell, TCS, Rackspace
5+ years of sales technical sales experience with a track record in high tech industry
3+ years of experience in enterprise and solution based consulting or technical sales.
Degree in Computer Science, Math or Technical Field highly desired (or equivalent work experience). MBA and Graduate/Advanced Degrees are a plus.
A passion for developing, growing, and retaining people - Microsoft’s most important asset.
Industry experience and deep IoT / M2M market knowledge in specific vertical industries such as Industrial Automation and Manufacturing, Healthcare, Smart Buildings, Energy, Security and Surveillance, and Retail.
Demonstrated capabilities in building technical relationships with senior executives and growing cloud consumption share in large- or highly strategic accounts.
Extensive experience in cross-group collaboration is required with the ability to influence across organizational boundaries.
Proven ability driving collaborative decisions, resolving conflicts, and ensuring engagement velocity.
Strong relationship-building and negotiation skills
Solid executive-level communication and presentation skills (both written and verbal)
Strong technical and pre-sales leadership expertise, covering some of these areas:
Broad knowledge of Azure and IoT architectures, from devices to cloud (Devices, Gateways, Connectivity, Cloud, Analytics and Visualization)
Data and analytics experience - SAWL, R, Python - Machine Learning skills include R and/or Python.
Web design / Power BI / Enterprise systems for IoT data visualization).
Azure or other Cloud Platform technical competency (infrastructure components, security, data, and analytics).
Experience on Windows and/or other O/S platforms (Linux, Android, etc.)
Experience with embedded computing devices and operating systems is a plus.
Proficient oral and written communications skills in English required.
Ability to travel (30% or more).
Personal Attributes and Competencies:
Passionate about technology and the IoT market
Capable of effectively navigating complex business challenges in ambiguous settings with solid judgment and risk management.
A strong sense of teamwork and passion to build high performance teams.
Lifelong learner with a growth mindset that continually raises the bar on personal impact and performance.
Proven ability to work independently and effectively with limited supervision.
Strong interpersonal skills, with executive credibility
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs