Morgan Stanley Investor Services Associate - Private Funds in Boston, Massachusetts
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (IM) is the Firms’ asset management division and offers investment expertise across Public and Private Markets managing a Total AUM of $482Bn as on Dec 2017. The group demonstrates a strong global presence in 20 Countries, 37 Offices, 1946 Employees and 608 Investment Professionals. Investment Management Operations supports the asset management business and performs core operational functions with its innovative capabilities and delivers first class operations to support the changing business needs and enhance the client experience to its fullest.
This Groups primary responsibilities pertain to servicing high net worth individuals investing in private funds. This position will primarily assist with Investor Services operational and oversight functions of alternative investment products that have a strong tax component to the strategy. Due to the specialized nature of these investment products, this position will expose the candidate to a unique combination of responsibilities that include performing certain operational functions, assist with activities to support oversight of service providers, and acting as a resource to support other departments in operational requests. The Associate is responsible with supporting the day-to-day operations of the Shareholder Portal and continue to enhance our clients experience. In addition to being involved in the day-to-day operations of the Group, the Associate will also assist in other project initiatives and work with management on internal process improvements. The position may also assist with documenting processes and controls needed to support new investment products. While this position is operational in nature, it is required that the candidate gain an understanding of the investment products being supported, with a focus of the tax implications of related shareholder activities, in order to perform effectively in this role.
- Performing activities related to subscriber on-boarding such as: Recording and tracking investor contributions, including data entry activities, and sharing the information with other internal stakeholders
- Assisting with researching service provider inquiries on subscription documents and facilitating necessary outreach with sales team
- Evaluating sufficiency of responses to subscription document inquiries and tracking open items
- Preparing information for use in various calculations related to fund subscriptions including valuation, commissions, tax measurements
- Preparing and facilitating various forms of subscriber and intermediary communications
-Performing various reconciliations of closing data with various stakeholders throughout closing process
- Facilitating closings with service providers and intermediaries (instruct commission payments, provide final closing data to intermediaries, etc)
- Performing post-closing activities including data reviews, escrow account administration and communications
- Performing functions related to post-investment shareholder activity, including redemption processing, review of Systematic Redemption Plan activity, and other transactions
- Overseeing the transfer agent, fund accountant, and other service providers by performing monitoring, reconciliation and other oversight procedures
- Ensuring that all departmental policies, procedures and controls are consistently applied
- Assist with the investor portal including: performing tasks pertaining to document management (uploading, reviewing, reconciliation, etc.), performing tasks pertaining to access management, responding to internal and external inquiries
- Providing support to internal departments (such as the Wealth Strategies team and Equity team) on a broad range of matters including operational matters, on-boarding of sub-agents, shareholder and placement agent inquiries, etc.
- Other responsibilities/projects, as necessary
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance or business
- 3 years of industry experience, with demonstrated progression
- Prior experience in an operations role a plus
- Strong organizational and project management skills, strong attention to detail, and strong oral and written communication skills
- Eagerness to work in a fast-paced environment and ability to learn complex investment products and related processes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with a willingness to assist others with initiatives that go beyond typical daily responsibilities
- Willingness to assist others with various duties that go beyond typical daily responsibilities
- FINRA Series 6 & 63 licenses within 8 months of start date
- Proficiency with Excel (including building and/or utilizing macros) is a plus
- Prior experience with database/CRM systems is a plus
Role is Hybrid and will require in office attendance 3 days/week. #LI-Hybrid
Title: Investor Services Associate - Private Funds
Requisition ID: 3221390