Arup Fire Engineering Intern (Available June 2021) in Boston, Massachusetts
Fire Engineering Intern (Available June 2021)
Sep 16, 2020Post Date
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you’ll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Develop portions of fire and life safety strategies
• Complete conceptual emergency evacuation and smoke management calculations
• Review drawings for conformance to the fire and life safety strategy
• Assist with the development of fire alarm and suppression systems design
• Assist with the development of fire and evacuation simulations
• Assist with the development of structural fire calculations
• Assist senior engineers to help clients to incorporate fire and life safety strategy concepts into the design
• Attend meetings and learn from listening, asking questions and discussion
• Bachelor Degree in Fire Protection or other related degree
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Professional demeanor
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Skills in planning and organizing
• Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn
• The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
• Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
• Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
• Master’s Degree in Fire Protection
• Coursework in Fire Dynamics, Evaluation, Building Codes, and Fire Protection Systems
• Internship experience with a design firm
• Experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics simulation software (Fire Dynamics Simulator, Fluent, or others) or evacuation software
• Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
• Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
• Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• Harvard University Smith Campus Center
• Northeastern ISEC + Bridge
• Olver Transit Center
• Harvard Art Museums
• Institute of Contemporary Art / Boston
• WPI Foisie Innovation Studio & Residence Hall
• UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Management
• MIT Site 4 Residential Tower
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Previous Job Searches
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Track your opportunities.
©Arup Careers. All rights reserved.
- Arup Jobs