Instrumentation Laboratory - Bedford Instructional Designer in Bedford, Massachusetts
Our Passion. Your Results.
Founded in 1959, Instrumentation Laboratory (IL) is a global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic solutions for Acute Care Diagnostics, patient blood management and Hemostasis testing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing medical professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to enhance patient care.
As an integral part of Werfen, a global healthcare company dedicated to delivering the highest quality in vitro diagnostic products, IL is supported by significant resources, outstanding scientific expertise and a tremendous knowledge base. IL is headquartered in Bedford, MA, USA.
The Instructional Designer is a crucial position within Instrumentations Laboratory’s (IL) strategic business unit that is responsible for creating, implementing, publishing, and maintaining training and service education programs for IL products in support of internal stakeholders.
Primary responsibilities will focus on developing and delivering blended learning programs focused on a diverse and technologically advanced service portfolio heavily concentrated in remote education using the latest digital instructional design tools and methodologies in collaboration with subject matter experts. With a new focus on eLearning and revamped learning standards, this individual will be a key member in driving new content development and overhauling the service delivery training programs.
• Using advanced instructional design standards and writing skills, develop learning program materials for a wide range of service topics to be delivered via instructor-led, virtual instructor-led, synchronous, and asynchronous online training methods
• Follows standard ADDIE instructional design processes, including:
– Participating in the need’s analysis, design, and development of training modules
– Interacting with SMEs in planning and scoping requirements for curriculum
– Storyboarding, authoring, and development of e-learning content and blended learning solutions
– Participates in beta deliveries of new courses, occasional travel for pilot support
– Developing course-specific job aids and performance support materials
• Provides reporting to management on project progression and completion
• Provides reporting to management on student usage of courses
• Maintains the Service segment within the Learning Management System (LMS), including:
– Uploading of new courses
– Managing student registrations
– Assisting users with accessing courses and the creation of reports
– Updating the eLearning Home Page
• Partners with other members of Corporate Training Groups to develop eLearning versions of classroom and written training materials
• Participates in project teams on a variety of initiatives, including new technology and new products
• Reviews and tests new and revised curriculum offerings from other team members, providing feedback and suggestions for improvement; contributes to new curriculum or program ideas.
• Work within the highly regulated medical device environment by following proscribed approval processes for all training materials developed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Budget managed (if applicable)
Internal Networking/Key relationships
• Strategic Marketing
• Quality Assurance/Regulatory Affairs
• Werfen Affiliates
Skills & Capabilities:
• Foundational understanding of instructional design techniques and Adult Learning.
• Ability to create and edit videos
• Excellent written and verbal English skills for the purpose of documentation development, curriculum development, editing and communication.
• Able to work with a minimum of supervision, prioritizes and executes complex tasks in a multitasking environment. Must demonstrate strong interpersonal and effective customer communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Office Suite. Experience with Articulate and other Instructional Design software tools as well as using online learning management systems (LMS).
• Strong project management Skills
• Proven track record of comprehensive editing, writing and reviewing of training content for to support classroom, e-learning, and WebEx training
Minimum Knowledge & Experience required for the position:
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred. MT, ASCP or CLS or Similar Degree is a plus.
o Minimum 3-5 years of previous instructional design experience required.
o Instructional Design methodologies used in technical course and curriculum development experience required
o MS Office Experience required
o Experience with Articulate or other CBT development tool required
o Strong working experience of learning programs for graphic design/medial tools and video editing preferred
o Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator) preferred
o Experience with designing curriculum in a regulated industry or in a medical industry is strongly preferred.
• Additional Knowledge:
o Extensive knowledge of multi-media interactive authoring software. Experience with Captivate, Creative Suite, and Storyline or related software highly desirable.
o Strong knowledge of Learning Management Systems (LMS); SAP experience is a plus
o Medical Device knowledge a plus
• Up to 10%, domestic and international
If you are interested in constantly learning and being challenged on a daily basis we encourage you to submit your resume or CV.
Instrumentation Laboratory appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Werfen is a global leader in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the specialties of Hemostasis, Acute Care Diagnostics and Autoimmunity. Our core business is dedicated to R&D, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic systems for hospitals and clinical laboratories. Our other areas of expertise include Original Equipment Manufacturing, Clinical Software, Clinical Chemistry, Infusion Therapy, and Medical Devices and Scientific Instrumentation Distribution.
We operate directly in over 30 countries and in more than 100 territories through distributors. In 2016, our turnover was approximately 1.2 billion euros and we had an average workforce of 4,400 people. Currently, we are over 5,000 employees.
Job ID: 2021-3799
Shift: Not Applicable
Street: 180 Hartwell Road