Staples Principal Software Engineer - eComm in Framingham, Massachusetts
In this role, you will be a key developer and technical lead for the Staples Advantage eCommerce team working on initiatives for the Contract business. This role will be involved in numerous projects that are targeted to hitting the goals of the Contract Business. The position will report directly to an IT Manager and will interface with the Business for requirements and status of projects.
· Work closely with the business and other areas of IT to understand and contribute to the execution of Staples Advantage projects to achieve our part of the Contract Goals.
· Assure execution of projects by delivering assigned tasks in a timely manner.
· Ensure projects are deployed on time with little to no downtime.
· Ensure there is clear ownership (accountability/responsibility) and focus to drive as well as resolve emerging streams of system development, integration, support and maintenance complexities.
· Establish and sustain a high level of partnership with the Business. Instill a level of confidence in technical knowledge in order to suggest and deliver solutions to business opportunities.
· Understand and help execute the technical roadmap developed for Staples Advantage, including adjustments as needed based on business environment and priorities.
· Provide technical leadership by helping to establish best practices, recommend design patterns, identify opportunities to refactor code, oversee project execution and mentor team members.
· Understand business requirements and make technical design decisions that fulfill them.
· Ensure compliance with PCI, SDLC and all other Staples systems management policies.
· Ensure technical design reviews and code reviews are performed for projects.
· Provide technical leadership to other members of the team for a robust and scalable architecture. Become a technical lead and oversee project execution from a technical prospective.
· Serve as an escalation point for technical design decisions within the context of project scope.
· Participate in projects as a member of an Agile/Scrum team including: project estimation, task creation, and driving to complete tasks in 2 week sprints.
· Work with Business Analysts, Business Owners, QM Analysts, and Application Support Teams to understand all stakeholder requirements.
· Embrace, recommend and apply new technologies as needed.
Must have a Masters Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or an Engineering Field plus 3-5 years of related technical experience, or have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or an Engineering Field plus 7-10 years of related technical experience.
· Proven experience in project management and organizational skills with an understanding of SDLC processes and/or Agile methodologies.
· Proven experience in leadership skills.
· Proven experience in diagnostic, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
· Extensive knowledge of business processes concentrated around E-Commerce applications with large implementations of J2EE technologies.
· Expert level understanding of Java, core J2EE components, JVM statistics, and JVM tuning (preferably on WebSphere Application Server.)
· 5 years in a production development environment, preferably with exposure to Order Management or CRM systems.
· 5 years experience developing applications deployed on an enterprise strength application server (preferably on WebSphere Application Server.)
· 2 years’ experience in integrating and working with search engines like SOLR, Lucene, or Endeca.
· 5 years experience in one or more of the following:
o Object oriented development using Java
o SQL on a relational database, DB2 is preferred
· Extensive website experience with jQuery/AJAX and JSON.
· Proficiency with UNIX, Linux and Shell Scripting.
· Proficient with relational database management systems; preferably DB2 and Oracle.
· Experience with WebSphere, WAS and WCBE experience is a plus.
· Java certification and/or J2EE enterprise architect certification.
· Experience with one or more operating systems; AIX and Red Hat Linux experience is preferred.
· Experience integrating with Search Engines like SOLR, Lucene or Endeca highly preferred.
· Experience with application code profiling tools and algorithmic analysis.
· Experience in managing technical leadership of projects and technical resources.
· Proven experience in motivating and mentoring other team members.
/ Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. /
Title: Principal Software Engineer - eComm
Requisition ID: 1009569