Thermo Fisher Scientific Systems Engineer R&D in Chelmsford, Massachusetts
How You Will Make a Difference:
The Systems Engineer is responsible for capturing, analyzing, and managing requirements and developing and optimizing product systems and architecture. This person must have an overall system knowledge encompassing SW and HW, and their interactions. The role coordinates the work of design engineers and technicians in a New Product Development (NPD) environment. Additionally, this role is responsible for the development of Product Technical Specifications and ensuring that products meet those specifications.
What You Will Get to Do:
• Lead the development of System and Subsystem Level Product Technical Specifications based on Product Requirements, FMEA's, risk assessments, and other input documents and ensure conformity to those specifications.
• Ensure all design or process changes do not violate Product Technical Specifications or reduce the outgoing quality of products.
• Work with subsystem design engineers to drive alignment between subsystem plans and Product Requirements
• Identify and control interfaces to internal components (SW, HW, and Mechanical)
• Work with design engineers to define requirements of subsystems (SW, HW, and Mechanical) and interface components
• Map subsystem elements and interfaces to requirements, and ensure bidirectional traceability
• Establish a common understanding among R&D team members on technical approach, scope, and risk.
• Help develop and ensure adherence to schedules and technical milestones for engineering project activities.
• Work effectively with cross-functional teams during all phases of the toll-gate NPD Process.
• Drive standardization of components across product lines and global manufacturing locations by working with subsystem design engineers as plans are developed.
• Drive development and standardization of engineering test plans and technical evaluations that include performance, reliability, regulatory, end of line testing, etc., used to validate new or existing system performance utilizing design for reliability tools and performance sensitivity analysis.
• Ensure product design integrity by verifying that design or process changes do not violate Product Technical Specifications or reduce the quality of products per the NPD tollgate process.
• Work with Project Management to ensure product and project cost targets are met per the NPD tollgate process.
• Define & establish reliability engineering processes.
• Communicate and ensure project plans, capabilities, limitations, risks, and opportunities are understood and aligned with cross functional teams such as manufacturing, service, quality, etc. by leading cross functional design reviews.
Other Job Requirements:
• Must have strong written and verbal communications skills
• High level of self-discipline, drive, and ability to lead
• Background in System Design and Validation of systems involving; Microprocessors and Communication Peripherals.
• Experience transitioning new products to production.
• Ability to integrate global standards and regulations into design.
• Ability to work in a cross-functional, global environment.
• Experience with SW/HW interfaces and architecture.
• Experience with system testing processes and tools.
• Experience with RTOS and embedded programming. Linux a strong plus.
• Other duties may be assigned as necessary
• Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time.
Supervisory Responsibilities : None
• 3 to 7 years hands on systems / design engineering, requirements development and implementation experience involving; Engineering Systems, and Software / Hardware Engineering
• Experience leading a team of engineers and designers
• Experience utilizing analytical and/or experimental techniques related system design
Relocation budget has not been approved for this rol*IND-LPG
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.