Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Medical Administrative Assistant in Boston, Massachusetts
Service:Patient Services Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1997645
THESE POSITIONS ARE LOCATED AT THE WEST ROXBURY AND BROCKTON, MA CAMPUSES APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: Resume and SF-50
Our Mission:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities[i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
*Who May Apply: *
- Current permanent employees of the VA Boston Healthcare System including permanent Veterans Canteen Service employees.
- All federal employees serving on a Career or Career-Conditional appointment.
- Former federal employees eligible for reinstatement.
- Permanent Title 38 employees employed on a full-time basis.
- Veterans eligible as 30% Disabled Veterans.
- Veterans eligible under a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA).
- Veterans eligible under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA).
- Those eligible under the Employment Program for People with Disabilities.
- Those eligible under CTAP/ICTAP.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitionsdocument.
The (2) positions are located in Patient Services of the Business Office in West Roxbury and Brockton Campuses. (1) position is for an MAA (AOD) as a Float position between the Brockton and West Roxbury Campuses. (1) position is for an MAA (AOD) located in the West Roxbury Campus. You will serve as an Administrative Officer of the Day (AOD) responsible for representing both the Medical Center and the Medical Administration Director on all administrative matters occurring when assigned to other than a normal tour of duty with delegated full authority and responsibility to exercise the Medical Center Director's prerogative in medical administration matters during the assigned tour of duty. Major duties include but are not limited to:
- Representing and acting on behalf of the Medical Center Director in (non-policy making administrative matters)
- Representing management in matters pertaining to the lawful retention of veterans in the VA Medical Center
- Maintaining continuity of operations
- Providing full medical administrative support to professional and administrative Medical Center Staff
- Providing technical guidance necessary to meet procedural, legal, and administrative requirements relative to the care and treatment of patients facility, VAMC, VISN and throughout VHA in order to propose national access changes that will result in extensive changes in agency policy. He/she makes assigned facility, VAMC, VISN and national recommendations which will obligate or dedicate substantial VHA resources.
Work Schedule:Full-Time; Varied Shifts 2:00pm-12am, or 8am-6pm or 10pm-8am
Position Description Title/PD#:00875A
- This position is covered by locality-based comparability pay.
- This Position is a NAGE Bargaining Unit Position
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
- Candidates who meet the qualification requirements within 15 calendar days following the closing date of the announcement will be considered.
- Time-in-Grade Restriction-Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. The grade may have been in any occupation but must have been held in Federal Service.
- Position is not required to file to file a financial disclosure report.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Occasional Travel
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and Status Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Successful completion of pre-employment screening/physical exam required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
REQUIREMENT:One year of specialized experience to the next lower grade level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-6) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: Experience that demonstrates skill in: coordinating patient admissions and referrals and transfers to and from a medical center; providing administrative authority, guidance and advice concerning administrative matters essential for medical center operation; and interpreting rules and regulations relating to ascertaining legal entitlement to benefits relating to hospital admissions, outpatient care, and patient transfer.
APPLICANTS MEETING THE QUALIFICATION STANDARDS WILL BE EVALUATED ON THE FOLLOWING KSAO'S: 1. Knowledge of Medical Center policies and procedures. 2. Ability to interpret rules, regulations, policies and procedures to identify and analyze complex problems or situations with a range of variables. 3. Ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of individuals. 4. Ability to provide medical administrative support to the Medical Center staff. 5. Ability to utilize computer applications and software programs as they apply to the position.
If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the competencies; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview. (*To receive credit for these skills, they must be documented in your application/resume).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The work is mostly sedentary with some walking, standing, bending, and carrying items such as patient's medical records, mail, supplies, etc. There are constant interruptions and, in some instances, resolution of problems can become intense, placing the incumbent in a position of stress on frequent occasions. He/She may also be subject to physical danger from an escalating patient.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is performed in the reception area in a clinical environment with exposure to communicable disease, physical, and verbal abuse from disturbed patients, distraught family members, and visitors. Safety precautions are necessary. Visits are necessary to the Emergency Room.
Time-in-grade: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-07 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-06 level.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP)provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476722900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-25
Salary: $44,810 to $58,258 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 07
Series: 0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: RS-17-SJ-1997645-BU
Control number: 476722900