State Street Counsel, Vice President in Boston, Massachusetts
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success.
Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
State Street is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability.
State Street is the world’s leading provider of financial services to institutional investors, with over 29,000 employees worldwide, located in 30 countries. Our broad and integrated range of services spans the entire investment spectrum including research, investment management, trading services and investment servicing. At State Street we believe in developing new talent, creating career opportunities for our employees and promoting mobility across all job levels and geographic locations.
State Street Global Markets
Our State Street Global Markets division provides specialized research, multi-asset trading, securities lending and innovative portfolio strategies to owners and managers of institutional assets. Our goal is to enhance and preserve portfolio values for our customers through original investment behaviour research, proprietary portfolio and risk management technologies, trading optimization and global trade connectivity. We support a variety of solutions for customers across a variety of businesses including principal and agency securities lending, principal and agency foreign exchange trading and agency brokerage, along with related products such as transition management, trading platforms, commission management, currency management and investor behavior research.
The State Street Global Markets Legal Team is a business focused team, currently comprised of over forty attorneys across State Street’s Boston, London and Hong Kong offices. The Global Markets Legal Team report through to the Executive Vice President and Head of Legal for Global Markets, Global Exchange and Global Operations.
Provide legal support for all aspects of State Street Bank’s principal securities lending (referred to as “Enhanced Custody”) and the launch of an accompanying Equity Swaps business by State Street Bank and Trust Company, acting as a U.S. Securities Based Swaps Dealer with trading desks in Boston, London and Hong Kong. The candidate will be responsible for duties including the following:
- Drafting and negotiating legal contracts and documentation for the Enhanced Custody and Equity Swaps, including MSLA, ISDA, CSA, Master Confirmation and Trade Acknowledgement and netting documentation, as well as bespoke documents and the ability to craft new forms of documentation for use globally as required.
- Collaborating with U.S. and global legal colleagues to effectively and efficiently onboard new Equity Swaps and Enhanced Custody clients.
- Conducting netting, enforceability, jurisdictional and other reviews.
- Advising on global applicable laws and regulations generally and in the context of Equity Swaps and Enhanced Custody trading activities, including advising on U.S. Securities Based Swap Dealer regulation and working cooperatively with global legal colleagues to analyze and advise on relevant EMEA and Asia Pacific regulations;
- Assisting with regulatory inquiries.
- Providing legal support to senior global business colleagues, including the Global Head of the EMEA Enhanced Custody and Equity Swaps business.
- Managing consultation process with external legal counsel.
- Active involvement in the preparation of legal analysis to be put before internal new product approval committees and liaising the Executive Vice President and Head of Legal for Global Markets, Global Exchange and Global Operations at key stages of the process.
- Ensuring all internal legal templates, policies and guidelines are understood and implemented and are up to date against applicable legislation.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- License to practice in Massachusetts.
- 5 years of experience in a major law firm, or equivalent in-house experience.
- Experience with securities lending, prime brokerage and/or equities derivatives arrangements preferred.
- Experience working with a global client base and knowledge of Dodd-Frank preferred.
- Strong and sophisticated drafting and negotiating experience.
- Results-oriented with strong project management and execution skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills with ability to sustain strong relationships with clients, peers and staff.
- Ability to interact with multiple levels in an organization and in multiple jurisdictions.
- Keen understanding of market practice impacting the business lines in the relevant jurisdictions and ability to work with business units to achieve practical solutions within applicable regulatory and risk parameters.
- Strong time management, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a global, dynamic and team-oriented environment.
- Flexibility and an eagerness to learn.
- To be located in Boston, MA.
- The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.
Boston - MA - USA
To apply to this position, follow the "apply now" link. To locate this position in our application page, please use the KEYWORD search functionality and insert either the State Street Job ID or the Location.
Job Title: Counsel, Vice President
Job ID: 148387
Full/Part Time: Full FTE