Internal Revenue Service Contact Representative *Temporary NTE 1 year* in Andover, Massachusetts
About the Agency
WHAT DOES A CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE DO?A Contact Representative, commonly referred to as a Customer Service Representative, carries out a full range of responsibilities in resolving issues and obtaining information relative to the tax administration process. The Customer Service Representative provides a full range of administrative and technical assistance to individuals and businesses. Although contacts are primarily by telephone, the employee is the point of contact when the customer desires authoritative technical and procedural information and assistance whether by phone, written or electronic mail correspondence. The work involves diverse issues that cannot be answered or resolved routinely. In this role, contacts often involve interpreting a wide range of tax processing regulatory requirements and procedures as administered by the organization for which you are assigned within the Internal Revenue Service. WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED**DIVISION?The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers. SB/SE taxpayers generally have higher incomes than most taxpayers, need to file twice as many tax forms, and generally need to rely more on paid tax preparers and the taxpayer education outreach activities of the IRS.
28 positions to be filled in SB/SE Service Centers/*Campus Collection Operation Andover* located* at 310 Lowell* Street*, Andover*, MA.
As a Contact Representative, you will:
- Communicate with individual taxpayers, their representatives, professional stakeholders, and other government officials.
- Complete contacts, i.e., conduct telephone interviews with a wide range of individuals who have varying degrees of understanding, and provides full explanations to specific inquiries.
- Respond to a wide range of inquiries involving laws, rules and regulations, each having different conditions, reporting requirements, or other regulatory provisions; Regulations and policies subject to frequent legislative changes, amendments or precedent decisions that affect specific conditions.
- Elicit sensitive, personal and financial information.
- Make determinations and uses sound judgment concerning controversial matters in reporting the degree to which the individual understood their responsibilities.
- Develop, analyze and evaluate information involving the research of records and the nature of each inquiry.
- Explain what future actions are necessary to achieve voluntary compliance by computing and/or advising on tax liability and probable assessment of taxes.
- Use sophisticated interviewing techniques; the employee reviews individual circumstances and goals, and advises on the most advantageous ways to meet them. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- IRS Employees on Career or Career Conditional Appointments.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.* * GS-08 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience applying methods, precedents, and guidelines related to individual and/or business accounts, collection techniques and enforcement actions to calculate the appropriate amount of tax, penalties, interest, or payments and advise them of their taxpayer rights and appeals procedures. Professionally communicating specialized information with internal and external customers verbally or in writing to clarify and resolve their account or tax issues and to fully advise the taxpayer of options available for meeting tax obligations. Experience working, researching accounts and dealing with all individuals including third party representatives, often in sensitive situations, including those where individuals are evasive, irate, and unwilling to accept the Service's or Employers position as to the determination of their account. Experience using interviewing techniques (e.g., disclosure requirements) to obtain and exchange information regarding reported or under-reported items. Experience using on-line systems, investigative techniques and procedures to research materials to make determinations of the informational sources.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must have been at the GS-7 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.”
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Review our benefits
POSITION DESCRIPTION: 94952 -A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at: https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*:*We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Alternative work schedule may be available.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5:00PM
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476642400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-10 to 2017-08-23
Salary: $49,626 to $64,511 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 08
Series: 0962 Contact Representative
Appointment type: NTE 1 year, May be extended up to 5 years, can be made permanent without further competition.
Work schedule: Fulltime
Job announcement number: 17CW2-SBB0660-0962-8-ZZ
Control number: 476642400